Tax Dictionary – Estimated Tax Penalty

IRS Definition

If you don’t pay enough tax through withholding and estimated tax payments, you may be charged a penalty. You also may be charged a penalty if your estimated tax payments are late, even if you are due a refund when you file your tax return.

More from H&R Block

If you didn’t pay enough taxes during the year by withholding taxes from your paycheck or by making estimated tax payments, the IRS may charge you an estimated tax penalty. The IRS charges estimated tax penalties because, by law, you’re required to pay taxes as you receive income throughout the year.

You can avoid this penalty if:

  • You owe less than $1,000 in tax, or
  • You paid at least 90% of the tax you owe for the current year, or you paid 100% of the tax you owed for the prior year (whichever is less).

You may be able to reduce estimated tax penalties when you file your tax return with IRS Form 2210. This form allows you to provide an exception or reduce the amount of the penalty by applying one of the many IRS rules. Going forward, it may be a good idea to adjust your withholding or make estimated tax payments.

In rare circumstances of financial hardship, the IRS can abate estimated tax penalties.

Learn how to address IRS penalties.

Related Topics

Related Resources

IRS Notice LT41 – We May Contact Others for Information

The IRS may contact third parties to obtain and/or verify information regarding your tax account. Learn more about IRS notice LT41 from the experts at H&R Block.

Tax Dictionary – Fraudulent Tax Return

When a fraudulent tax return is erroneously accepted by the IRS, you can obtain a redacted copy of the return. Learn more from the tax experts at H&R Block.

IRS Notice CP42 – The IRS Applied Your Refund to Taxes Owed

Learn more about form CP42, why you received it, and how to handle an IRS balance due with help from the tax experts at H&R Block.

Tax Dictionary – Identity Theft

Get the facts about the two types of tax identity theft, what happens when someone steals your tax identity, and how to fix the issue with the IRS.