Tax Dictionary – Guaranteed Installment Agreement

IRS Definition

Internal Revenue Code (IRC) section 6159(c) requires the IRS to accept proposals of installment agreements under certain circumstances. In accordance with the tax laws the IRS must accept proposals to pay in installments if taxpayers are individuals who:

  • owe income tax only of $10,000 or less (excluding penalties and interest);
  • have not failed to file any income tax returns or to pay any tax shown on such returns during any of the preceding five taxable years;
  • cannot pay the tax immediately;
  • agree to fully pay the tax liability within 3 years;
  • agree to file and pay all tax returns during the term of the agreement; and
  • have not entered into an installment agreement during any of the preceding five taxable years.

More from H&R Block

If you meet the criteria listed above for a guaranteed installment agreement, the IRS must accept your request for a payment plan.

In this case, the IRS typically doesn’t file a federal tax lien. If you don’t qualify for the guaranteed installment agreement because you can’t pay your tax balance within three years, but you can pay it within six years, you may still qualify for a streamlined installment agreement and avoid a federal tax lien filing.

Learn all the options you may have if you can’t pay your taxes.

Related Topics

Related Resources

How to Use First-Time Penalty Abatement

Get the facts from H&R Block about the widely available but little-known IRS penalty relief option called first-time penalty abatement.

Tax Dictionary – Partial Pay Installment Agreement

Get the facts from H&R Block about the IRS payment plan called a partial pay installment agreement, which considers your full financial picture.

Tax Dictionary – Identity Theft Affidavit

Learn about IRS Form 14039, Identity Theft Affidavit, which notifies the IRS about your identity theft issue and helps protect your account going forward.

IRS Notice CP21A – Changes to Your Form 1040

The IRS discovered a possible error on your return. Learn more about notice CP21A and how to handle it with help from the tax experts at H&R Block.