IRS Disallowed Credit


IRS Definition of Disallowed Credit

If your earned income credit (EIC), child tax credit (CTC), additional child tax credit (ACTC), or American opportunity tax credit (AOTC) was disallowed by the IRS, you must complete and file the Form 8862, Information to Claim Certain Refundable Credits After Disallowance, with your tax return if both of the following are true:

  • Your EITC, CTC/ACTC or AOTC was reduced or disallowed and you received a letter saying you had to complete and attach Form 8862 the next time you claim the credit(s); AND
  • You meet all the requirements and want to take the EITC, CTC/ACTC or AOTC for this tax year.

More from H&R Block

If the IRS rejected one or more of these credits: EITC, CTC, ACTC or AOTC, you may have received a letter stating that the credit was disallowed. If you wish to take the credit in a future tax year, you must recertify by filing Form 8862 with your tax return. In some instances, the IRS will automatically recertify you and send you a CP74 or other letter to let you know that you do not have to file Form 8862 with your tax return to receive the credit.

If you were advised that you must file a Form 8862 to receive a credit in a future year and did not receive CP74 or another notice telling you that you have been recertified, file Form 8862 with your tax return or the credit will be denied.

Related Tax Terms

Qualifying Child

Get help from an IRS expert

H&R Block’s experts can solve any IRS problem, no matter how complex.

Make an appointment

Or call 855-536-6504

Related Information

How to Handle IRS Tax Return and Account Problems

Learn about IRS return and account problems that you may encounter when filing taxes from the tax experts at H&R Block.

Can the IRS Take or Hold My Refund? Yes.

The IRS has the authority to take or hold your tax refund if they think your return isn't accurate and in other situations as well. Find out more from the tax experts at H&R Block.

Six Reasons You Might Have Gotten a Notice Instead of Your Refund

Didn't get your expected tax refund? Learn about six possible reasons for this unexpected change from the tax experts at H&R Block.

How to Research Your IRS Account

Requesting your tax transcripts is the best way to research your IRS tax account. You can also authorize your tax pro to communicate with the IRS for you.