If the levy on your wages is creating an immediate economic hardship, the levy must be released. If the levy on your bank account or other account is creating an immediate economic hardship, the levy may be released. A levy release does not mean you are exempt from paying the balance. The IRS will work with you to establish a payment plan or take other steps to help you pay off the balance.
More from H&R Block
If the IRS issues a levy on your wages, bank accounts or other property, you may qualify for a levy release, which will stop the levy.
Request a levy release if:
- You paid your full tax balance.
- You set up an installment agreement with the IRS that doesn’t allow a levy.
- You can show that the levy is preventing you from paying your necessary living expenses.
- You can show that releasing the levy will make it easier for you to pay the taxes.
- The IRS issued the levy in error.
- The IRS is considering an offer in compromise that you have applied for.
- The IRS has run out of time to collect the taxes.
Get help from an expert
Your local H&R Block tax pro can look into your issue and deal with the IRS for you.Schedule a Free Consultation
Learn how to get the IRS to remove your levy or wage garnishment and how long it will take. Get the facts from the tax experts at H&R Block.
Learn about the different options when you can't pay or still owe money from a past return from the tax experts at H&R Block.
Liens and levies are tools the IRS uses to collect back taxes. Learn more about each one -- and how to avoid tax liens and levies by working with the IRS.
Get the facts from H&R Block about IRS payment options when you can't pay your tax bill, including short-term extensions, monthly payment plans, and more.
Learn what to do when you can’t pay your taxes – to avoid these 10 consequences of tax debt. Get the facts from the tax experts at H&R Block.
Learn the three main benefits of engaging a power of attorney to research your IRS account and resolve your tax problems. Get the facts from the experts at H&R Block.