What is form 1040-v?
Form 1040-V is a payment voucher used with Forms 1040, 1040A, and 1040EZ. If you have a balance due, send a 1040-V with your payment to speed processing.
Don’t send cash for payments to the IRS. If you’re paying by check:
- Make the check payable to the “U.S. Treasury.”
- Make sure your name and address are on the check.
- In the check’s memo section, write these:
- Form number you’re filing. Ex: “2018 Form 1040”
- Your daytime phone number
- Your Social Security number (SSN). If you’re filing married filing jointly, write the first SSN shown on the return.
- When writing the payment amount on the right side of the check, write the number like this: $XXX.XX. Don’t use a dash or slash.
Understand your tax responsibilities when you receive nonemployee compensation. Read the IRS definition and get more insight from the experts at H&R Block.
Inheritance tax is the tax you pay as the beneficiary of property that you inherited and then you sell. Learn more from the tax experts at H&R Block.
The IRS can only take your paycheck if you have an overdue tax balance and the IRS has sent you a series of notices asking you to pay. Learn more from the tax experts at H&R Block.
Learn more about letter 3572, why you received it, and how to handle an IRS audit with help from the tax experts at H&R Block.