What is form 1040-v?
Form 1040-V is a payment voucher used with Forms 1040, 1040A, and 1040EZ. If you have a balance due, send a 1040-V with your payment to speed processing.
Don’t send cash for payments to the IRS. If you’re paying by check:
- Make the check payable to the “U.S. Treasury.”
- Make sure your name and address are on the check.
- In the check’s memo section, write these:
- Form number you’re filing. Ex: “2018 Form 1040”
- Your daytime phone number
- Your Social Security number (SSN). If you’re filing married filing jointly, write the first SSN shown on the return.
- When writing the payment amount on the right side of the check, write the number like this: $XXX.XX. Don’t use a dash or slash.
With CP2000 notices, make sure you preserve your rights when you respond to the IRS. Mainly, your right to protest penalties and your right to appeal.
The IRS thinks you may owe Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT). Learn more about IRS letter 2194 from the tax experts at H&R Block.
Reviewing your Form W-2 and not sure what the W-2 codes mean? Learn more about W-2 Form codes and boxes from the tax experts at H&R Block.
Receive an IRS 4527C letter? Learn more about letter 4527C, why you received it, and how to handle it with help from the tax experts at H&R Block.