What is form 1040-v?
Form 1040-V is a payment voucher used with Forms 1040, 1040A, and 1040EZ. If you have a balance due, send a 1040-V with your payment to speed processing.
Don’t send cash for payments to the IRS. If you’re paying by check:
- Make the check payable to the “U.S. Treasury.”
- Make sure your name and address are on the check.
- In the check’s memo section, write these:
- Form number you’re filing. Ex: “2019 Form 1040”
- Your daytime phone number
- Your Social Security number (SSN). If you’re filing married filing jointly, write the first SSN shown on the return.
- When writing the payment amount on the right side of the check, write the number like this: $XXX.XX. Don’t use a dash or slash.
If you have a tax balance that you can't pay right away, consider your payment options with us. Get tax answers at H&R Block.
A 30-day letter gives you 30 days to respond before the IRS sends a bill. Read the IRS definition and get more insight from the tax experts at H&R Block.
If you owe taxes and you can’t pay them all, you have options. Read H&R Block's guide to the types of IRS installment agreements - and how to figure out which one is right for you.
If you haven't filed required tax returns, find out how far back you may need to file, and get the nine tips you need to know about filing back tax returns.