What is Form 1040-V?
Form 1040-V is a payment voucher used with Forms 1040. If you have a balance due, send a 1040-V with your payment to speed processing.
Tips On Filling Out 1040-V
Don’t send cash for payments to the IRS. If you’re paying by check or money order:
- Make the check or money order payable to the “U.S. Treasury.”
- Make sure your name and address are on the check or money order.
- In the check or money order’s memo section, write these:
- Form number you’re filing.
- Your daytime phone number
- Your Social Security number (SSN), or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). If you’re filing married filing jointly, write the first SSN shown on the return.
- When writing the payment amount on the right side of the check, write the number like this: $XXX.XX. Don’t use a dash or slash.
Where to Mail Form 1040-V Payment Voucher
You can mail your Form 1040-V, tax return, and payment (not cash) to the appropriate address shown on the back but do not staple or otherwise attach the Form 1040-V to your return.
How Do You Pay Electronically Using Form 1040-V Payment Voucher?
You can also use the Form 1040-V payment voucher on the IRS website via credit card or debit. You can also directly pay from your checking account.
The Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS) uses three pieces of information:
- A taxpayer identification number (SSN or ITIN)
- A personal identification number (PIN)
- An Internet password
More Help With IRS Form 1040-V
Whether or not you owe a tax payment via IRS form 1040, we can help. At H&R Block, we can assist you with your unique state and federal tax requirements, to help get you a favorable tax outcome.
The IRS may contact third parties about your tax liability. Learn more about IRS letter 3164 from the tax experts at H&R Block.
Get the facts from H&R Block about what appears on IRS wage and income transcripts, why you might want to request them, and how to get them from the IRS.
Do you owe back child support? It could affect your tax refund. Learn more about taxes and back child support from the tax experts at H&R Block..
If you bought a vehicle last year and forgot to claim the sales tax on your return, can you claim the tax this year? Learn more from the experts at H&R Block.