I received a corrected 2017 W-2 in 2018. Can I report the W-2 correction on my 2018 return?


No. You can’t correct the mistake on your 2018 return. Instead, you might need to amend your 2017 return using Form 1040X.

You should file a 1040X amendment if your corrected W-2:

  • Increases your 2017 tax liability
  • Affects your allowable credits or deductions

You can’t e-file a 1040X, so you’ll have to mail it to the IRS. Attach a copy of your corrected W-2 to the amended return. Keep in mind that you might also need to file an amendment to your state return.

Related Topics

Related Resources

Do I Need Form 1095 to File a Tax Return?

Depending on types of insurance coverage for healthcare, you may need to use a form 1095 when filing. Here's a guide to 1095 form requirements from H&R Block.

IRS Letter 2904 – Request for Information

The Taxpayer Advocate Service is requesting information from you. Learn more about IRS letter 2904 from the tax experts at H&R Block.

Changed Filing Deadlines for 2016 Tax Returns

Tax filing deadlines changed for 2016. If you own a small business, learn about new tax deadlines from H&R Block.

IRS Letter 3016 – Innocent Spouse Relief Preliminary Determination

The IRS has made a decision about your innocent spouse claim. Learn more about letter 3016 and how to address it with help from the experts at H&R Block.