What Is a 1095-A Tax Form?
If you enrolled in coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace last year, you’ll need Form 1095-A to prepare your taxes this year.
But what is a 1095-A tax form? It’s a document that tells you:
- The amount of advance payments of the premium tax credit you received
- Your health coverage by month
- Other information about your health insurance
The IRS Form 1095-A is necessary to see if you got too much or too little of the advance premium tax credit. You can use the form to compare the amount of premium tax credit you used in advance during the year and the premium tax credit you qualify for based on your income for the year. The difference between these two numbers will affect your refund or tax owed. This process is called reconciliation.
What’s on a 1095-A tax form? There are three parts of the Form 1095-A:
- Recipient information — This gives basic info about you (and spouse, if applicable), the policy issuer, and the dates of your insurance policy.
- Coverage household — This gives info on all members of the household covered by your insurance (Ex: Name, date of birth, coverage start and end date).
- Household information — This gives info about the premium tax credit, including monthly premium amounts for your plan, benchmark plan, and monthly premium tax credit advances
To get help reconciling your Advance Premium Tax Credit, make an appointment with one of our tax professionals. Remember to bring your IRS Form 1095-A.
How to Get a 1095-A Form Online
You should receive your Form 1095-A in the mail by mid-February. You might also be able to get your 1095-A form online through your HealthCare.gov account by mid-January.
If you don’t receive the form or it’s incorrect, contact your Marketplace call center.
Learn whether the IRS can take your state tax refund to pay your federal taxes -- and what to do if you owe taxes and can't pay.
What is an IRS transcript, and why is it useful? Learn more about the five different kinds of irs transcripts with the tax experts at H&R Block.
When does tax reform take effect? The new tax law passed in 2017, with most provisions going into effect in tax year 2018. Learn more with the experts at H&R Block.
The IRS may contact third parties about your tax liability. Learn more about IRS letter 3164 from the tax experts at H&R Block.