How can I pay taxes I owe?

  • There are several ways to go about paying taxes you owe. You can pay tax by credit or debit card at an IRS-sponsored pay site
  • You can mail a check with your payment balance due to the address listed on your filing instructions with your Form 1040-V

If, for whatever reason, you can’t pay taxes, you can request additional time to pay your tax in full or set up an IRS payment plan.

Learn all the steps to take if you can’t pay your taxes.

Instead of an installment agreement, if you owe taxes and you request and are granted an additional 120 days to pay the tax in full, you’ll usually pay less in penalties and interest. You’ll pay more if you repaid the debt repaid through an installment agreement over a longer period of time. There’s no fee for this short extension of time to pay.

If you file an extension (Form 4868), it’s only an extension of time to file. It’s not an extension of time to pay. However, you’ll only be subject to interest (not penalties) if all of these are true:

  • You made payments of at least 90% of the tax due by the filing deadline.
  • You file your return.
  • You pay the remaining balance by the extension deadline.

Related Topics

Related Resources

Suppose I want use my state tax refund to pay my federal tax debt. Can I file state return now and file my federal retur

Can you file your state and federal tax returns on different dates? Learn more from the tax experts at H&R Block.

Where Do Your Tax Dollars Go?

Whether you are a disgruntled or curious taxpayer, we're here to answer: "Where are my tax dollars going?"

If I check the refund status of my federal refund on the IRS website, which amount do I put as my refund amount?

Learn how to find the status of your federal refund with help from the tax experts at H&R Block.

Marriage taxes have never been an issue since this is the first time my spouse and I are married filing jointly. Is ther

If you didn't receive your state tax refund as expected, it may be time to update your W-4. Learn how marriage may affect your taxes at H&R Block.