How do I find out why the IRS offset my federal refund?
The Bureau of Fiscal Services will send you a notice if there’s an offset. The offset notice will show these:
- Original refund amount
- Your refund offset amount
- Agency receiving the payment
- Address and telephone number of the agency
If you don’t get a notice, you’ll need to call:
- Bureau of Fiscal Services at 800-304-3107
- TDD at 866-297-0517
Contact the agency listed on the notice if:
- You believe you don’t owe the debt.
- You’re disputing the amount of money that has been taken from your refund.
Contact the IRS only if your original refund on the debt offset notice differs from the refund amount on your return.
"Where's my refund?" Find out why you may have a missing or delayed refund with the tax professionals at H&R Block.
How do you report day workers if you pay them in cash? Learn how to determine the right relationship for tax purposes. Get tax answers at H&R Block.
Do you know how to check your tax refund status? Learn more about when to expect your tax refund and get tax answers at H&R Block.
Learn what to do if you lost your tax refund check with help from the tax experts at H&R Block.