How do I find out why the IRS offset my federal refund?
The Bureau of Fiscal Services will send you a notice if there’s an offset. The offset notice will show these:
- Original refund amount
- Your refund offset amount
- Agency receiving the payment
- Address and telephone number of the agency
If you don’t get a notice, you’ll need to call:
- Bureau of Fiscal Services at 800-304-3107
- TDD at 866-297-0517
Contact the agency listed on the notice if:
- You believe you don’t owe the debt.
- You’re disputing the amount of money that has been taken from your refund.
Contact the IRS only if your original refund on the debt offset notice differs from the refund amount on your return.
Whether you are a disgruntled or curious taxpayer, we're here to answer: "Where are my tax dollars going?"
Learn how declaring bankruptcy could potentially impact your tax return with advice from the tax experts at H&R Block.
Learn how to have your tax refund deposited directly in your bank account with help from the tax experts at H&R Block.
Learn whether the payment status of your student loans entitles the IRS to take your tax return from the tax experts at H&R Block.