Can I E-File My Tax Return Under the TCJA?

October 24, 2018 : Gil Charney

Editor’s Note: This article was originally published on February 1, 2018. 


Although the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) made major changes to how your income is taxed, how you file your return will stay the same. You’ll still be able to e-file or mail in your tax return and choose to get your refund through direct deposit. Furthermore, you still get to choose whether to have your return prepared by your tax professional or to use do-it-yourself (DIY) methods.

Popular Option to E-File Tax Returns Remains Available After Tax Reform

E-filing your tax return has been a popular option for many in the past. In fact, taxpayers e-filed more than 127 million tax returns in 2017. The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) doesn’t change your ability to file online. You can continue to e-file your tax return just like you did last year.

What’s the advantage of e-filing? There are several. It’s faster, easier and more accurate than filing a paper return.  For comparison, the IRS site for refund updates typically shows the status of your tax return within 24 hours if you e-file your tax return. However, if you file a paper return, it can take four weeks or more. E-filing also allows the IRS to process returns more quickly, and, in turn, issue refunds more quickly.

Whether You File With a Tax Pro or DIY, You Can Still E-file Your Tax Return

Almost 75 million taxpayers used a tax professional in 2017. Over 52 million taxpayers chose a do-it-yourself tax prep method. Of course, you still have these choices in 2018. And with either of these methods, you can still e-file your tax return.

Ready to get started on your taxes? You can make an appointment in an H&R Block tax office near you. Or if you prefer to DIY, you can review our ways you can file your taxes online.

E-Filing Your Return? Consider Our Virtual Tax Prep Option

If you enjoy the convenience of e-filing, you may be interested in trying something new with your tax preparation. H&R Block’s Tax Pro Go lets you upload your tax documents and a tax professional will complete your tax return for you. You don’t need to visit an office or start your taxes yourself.

Related Topics

Related Resources

IRS Letter 3179C – Refund Offset to Treasury Offset Program – Nontax Debt

All or a portion of your tax refund was taken to pay non-tax debt. Learn more about IRS letter 3179C from the tax experts at H&R Block.

How Form 1098-C Applies to Your Vehicle Donation Deduction

Donating a qualified vehicle to a charity? Learn how Form 1098-C is used to report the details of your donation and how it affects your deduction.

Form 1099-B, Proceeds From Broker and Barter Exchange Transactions

If you sold stock, bonds or other securities through a broker or had a barter exchange transaction, you will likely receive a Form 1099-B. Learn more from H&R Block.

Taxes, Basketball, And Bracketology | 2017 Tax Brackets

What do 2017 federal tax brackets and March Madness have in common? The Tax Institute Director Gil Charney weighs-in. Read more from H&R Block.

Gil Charney

Gil is the Director of Tax Law and Policy Analysis for The Tax Institute at H&R Block.