Taxes On Forgiven Student Loans
If schools and foundations forgive your loans, those loans might not be taxable. Changes to the exclusion rules mean loans made by some schools aren’t taxed.
For the exclusion rules to apply:
- An educational institution must have made the loan.
- The loan must have been part of a program that encourages students to serve in occupations or areas with unmet needs.
- Your job must fall under one of these:
- Governmental unit
- Tax-exempt Section 501(c)(3) organization
To learn more, see these at www.irs.gov:
- Publication 525: Taxable and Nontaxable Income
- Publication 970: Tax Benefits for Education
Ever wondered if tips are taxable? The simple answer: yes, all tips are taxable income. Learn more about reporting tip income with the experts at H&R Block.
Does scholarship money count as taxable income? Learn about how taxes on scholarships could affect your tax return and get tax answers at H&R Block.
It's almost time for Thanksgiving Savings! H&R Block is giving you insightful Thanksgiving shopping tips so you can find the best deals possible.
If you still haven't done your taxes, don't panic. This video from H&R Block provides 5 tips to help you through the filing process before the tax deadline.