Taxes On Forgiven Student Loans
If schools and foundations forgive your loans, those loans might not be taxable. Changes to the exclusion rules mean loans made by some schools aren’t taxed.
For the exclusion rules to apply:
- An educational institution must have made the loan.
- The loan must have been part of a program that encourages students to serve in occupations or areas with unmet needs.
- Your job must fall under one of these:
- Governmental unit
- Tax-exempt Section 501(c)(3) organization
To learn more, see these at www.irs.gov:
- Publication 525: Taxable and Nontaxable Income
- Publication 970: Tax Benefits for Education
Many who browse online retailers make the decision to hit "buy" based on the online shopping tax charged. Let's review the rules behind this common finding.
What does your teen need to know about student loans? Get the facts and learn more at H&R Block.
Need to file a tax return, but aren't sure how to start? Get some tips for the first time tax filer and learn how H&R Block can help.
What's the cost of owning a dog, cat or other household pets? Find out with this handy infographic from H&R Block.