Taxes On Forgiven Student Loans
If schools and foundations forgive your loans, those loans might not be taxable. Changes to the exclusion rules mean loans made by some schools aren’t taxed.
For the exclusion rules to apply:
- An educational institution must have made the loan.
- The loan must have been part of a program that encourages students to serve in occupations or areas with unmet needs.
- Your job must fall under one of these:
- Governmental unit
- Tax-exempt Section 501(c)(3) organization
To learn more, see these at www.irs.gov:
- Publication 525: Taxable and Nontaxable Income
- Publication 970: Tax Benefits for Education
It's that time of year again. Learn how to maximize your tax benefits when enrolling in the health insurance marketplace. Review options provided by H&R Block.
If you’re trying to stick to a budget this winter while being with your loved one, check out these low-cost winter date ideas from H&R Block.
When does tax reform take effect? The new tax law passed in 2017, with most provisions going into effect in tax year 2018. Learn more with the experts at H&R Block.
If you're working your first job, it's important to spend and save your money wisely. Learn more about teenage money management at H&R Block.