Taxes On Forgiven Student Loans
If schools and foundations forgive your loans, those loans might not be taxable. Changes to the exclusion rules mean loans made by some schools aren’t taxed.
For the exclusion rules to apply:
- An educational institution must have made the loan.
- The loan must have been part of a program that encourages students to serve in occupations or areas with unmet needs.
- Your job must fall under one of these:
- Governmental unit
- Tax-exempt Section 501(c)(3) organization
To learn more, see these at www.irs.gov:
- Publication 525: Taxable and Nontaxable Income
- Publication 970: Tax Benefits for Education
Are you a K-12 educator? Are your classroom supplies paid out of pocket? This year, get schooled on important teacher tax deductions that may help you save cash when filing taxes.
It's important to be a good example for your kids. Learn some tips on how to be a good role model with H&R Block.
The role of godparents is very important in the Latino community. Learn more about godparent responsibilities at H&R Block.