Taxes On Forgiven Student Loans
If schools and foundations forgive your loans, those loans might not be taxable. Changes to the exclusion rules mean loans made by some schools aren’t taxed.
For the exclusion rules to apply:
- An educational institution must have made the loan.
- The loan must have been part of a program that encourages students to serve in occupations or areas with unmet needs.
- Your job must fall under one of these:
- Governmental unit
- Tax-exempt Section 501(c)(3) organization
To learn more, see these at www.irs.gov:
- Publication 525: Taxable and Nontaxable Income
- Publication 970: Tax Benefits for Education
The startup tax or new business tax is a topic many new business owners shy away from. Don't get caught off-guard. Review these tips provided by our tax pros.
If you love Halloween, did you know that there can be candy-related sales tax by state? Watch out for your Halloween spending with these facts from H&R Block.
The gig economy and taxes go hand-in-hand. If gig work is your primary form of income, review these important tax tips from our H&R Block tax professionals.
Many life events can introduce financial stress. Guest contributor Madeline Cronin discusses how to deal with financial planning through various life stages.