Taxes On Forgiven Student Loans
If schools and foundations forgive your loans, those loans might not be taxable. Changes to the exclusion rules mean loans made by some schools aren’t taxed.
For the exclusion rules to apply:
- An educational institution must have made the loan.
- The loan must have been part of a program that encourages students to serve in occupations or areas with unmet needs.
- Your job must fall under one of these:
- Governmental unit
- Tax-exempt Section 501(c)(3) organization
To learn more, see these at www.irs.gov:
- Publication 525: Taxable and Nontaxable Income
- Publication 970: Tax Benefits for Education
Dorm room essentials don't have to wreck your college budget. Learn how to find college room essentials for less and save money dorm shopping with H&R Block.
Check out these tips from H&R Block tax pros to save on the electric bill while staying warm this winter season.
Love to shop but need to save cash? Check out our guide and learn how to save on coffee, clothes and more at H&R Block.
If you still haven't done your taxes, don't panic. This video from H&R Block provides 5 tips to help you through the filing process before the tax deadline.