Taxes On Forgiven Student Loans
If schools and foundations forgive your loans, those loans might not be taxable. Changes to the exclusion rules mean loans made by some schools aren’t taxed.
For the exclusion rules to apply:
- An educational institution must have made the loan.
- The loan must have been part of a program that encourages students to serve in occupations or areas with unmet needs.
- Your job must fall under one of these:
- Governmental unit
- Tax-exempt Section 501(c)(3) organization
To learn more, see these at www.irs.gov:
- Publication 525: Taxable and Nontaxable Income
- Publication 970: Tax Benefits for Education
Turning your home into a smart home could equal energy savings. Learn more about investing in connected home devices with guest contributor Neal Foster.
Fixing up your house this summer? Take note of these tips on how to save on home repairs from H&R Block.
Our Tax Pro’s at H&R Block have prepared expert tips to help guard your consumer data in honor of Tax Identity Theft Awareness Week. Visit our blog for more details.