Taxes On Forgiven Student Loans
If schools and foundations forgive your loans, those loans might not be taxable. Changes to the exclusion rules mean loans made by some schools aren’t taxed.
For the exclusion rules to apply:
- An educational institution must have made the loan.
- The loan must have been part of a program that encourages students to serve in occupations or areas with unmet needs.
- Your job must fall under one of these:
- Governmental unit
- Tax-exempt Section 501(c)(3) organization
To learn more, see these at www.irs.gov:
- Publication 525: Taxable and Nontaxable Income
- Publication 970: Tax Benefits for Education
If you need to plan a cheap wedding but don't where to start, H&R Block has you covered. Learn how to stay in budget with these simple tips.
Military spouses who have moved states might be able to keep the same home as their spouse. Review military spouse residency rules with help from H&R Block.
In the past, your IRS debt may have appeared on your credit report if the IRS filed a Notice of Federal Tax Lien against you. Starting in 2018, the three major credit bureaus will remove tax liens from consumer credit reports. However, lenders may still search public records for tax liens.
The role of godparents is very important in the Latino community. Learn more about godparent responsibilities at H&R Block.