Taxes On Forgiven Student Loans
If schools and foundations forgive your loans, those loans might not be taxable. Changes to the exclusion rules mean loans made by some schools aren’t taxed.
For the exclusion rules to apply:
- An educational institution must have made the loan.
- The loan must have been part of a program that encourages students to serve in occupations or areas with unmet needs.
- Your job must fall under one of these:
- Governmental unit
- Tax-exempt Section 501(c)(3) organization
To learn more, see these at www.irs.gov:
- Publication 525: Taxable and Nontaxable Income
- Publication 970: Tax Benefits for Education
Learn more about the tax benefits of college savings accounts like 529 plans and Coverdell ESAs with the experts at H&R Block.
Turning your home into a smart home could equal energy savings. Learn more about investing in connected home devices with guest contributor Neal Foster.
If you love Halloween, did you know that there can be candy-related sales tax by state? Watch out for your Halloween spending with these facts from H&R Block.
It's that time of year again. Learn how to maximize your tax benefits when enrolling in the health insurance marketplace. Review options provided by H&R Block.