Taxes On Forgiven Student Loans
If schools and foundations forgive your loans, those loans might not be taxable. Changes to the exclusion rules mean loans made by some schools aren’t taxed.
For the exclusion rules to apply:
- An educational institution must have made the loan.
- The loan must have been part of a program that encourages students to serve in occupations or areas with unmet needs.
- Your job must fall under one of these:
- Governmental unit
- Tax-exempt Section 501(c)(3) organization
To learn more, see these at www.irs.gov:
- Publication 525: Taxable and Nontaxable Income
- Publication 970: Tax Benefits for Education
If you're working your first job, it's important to spend and save your money wisely. Learn more about teenage money management at H&R Block.
Not sure how to find your first job after graduation? Find out how your job search is going wrong and fix your mistakes with H&R Block.
Are Veterans benefits taxable? Our H&R Tax Professionals address your veteran's related tax questions in honor of our soldiers this Veteran's Day.
It can be difficult to choose between an unpaid vs. paid summer internship. Learn how to choose the right internship for you with statistics and tips.