Explore All Topics

Top 10 tax tips if you have a new baby

5 min read

5 min read

Editor’s Note: If you recently had a baby, congratulations! Now, to focus for just a minute through that sleep-deprived haze. There are important tax implications that come along with your new bundle like baby expenses and even changes to your taxes. Learn more about the childcare tax credit and other tax credits for caregivers now…

1. Upgrading tax rates

If you would have filed as Single this year, support your household, and had a baby, your filing status could change to Head of Household (HH). Not only does the HH filing status give you a larger bump in standard deduction, but HH has more favorable tax brackets as well. That means for the same dollar amount of income, you could be paying less taxes as HH instead of Single thanks to your new bundle of joy. However, if you are married, having a child will not generally affect your filing status.  For more information on the requirements for your filing status, please see IRS Publication 501.

2. Baby showers

Parents are typically showered with gifts and money from friends and relatives to celebrate the birth of the child. The good news is that these gifts are not taxable. However, if your well-to-do relative gifts more than $17,000 if filing Single and $34,000 if Married Filing Jointly if to any one person during the year, they may be subject to gift taxes.

3. Medical expenses

Medical expenses can be deductible if they exceed a certain amount of your Adjusted Gross Income. Most parents are aware that the cost of the hospital stay to birth your baby and related care will count as medical expenses. But mothers are surprised to find out that the cost of breast pumps and lactation supplies are medical expenses that may help you reach up and over the hump. However, you’ll need to itemize these expenses in order to qualify for this deduction.

4. Getting your baby on the grid

You are required to include the social security number (SSN) of any dependent you claim as an exemption on your tax return. If your baby does not have yet a SSN, you should apply for an SSN as soon as possible by filing Form SS5, Application for a Social Security Card, with the Social Security Administration (SSA).

It usually takes about two weeks to get a SSN once the SSA has all the information it needs. If you do not have the required SSN by the filing due date, you can file Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time To File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, for additional time (up to six months) to file your return.

5. Child dependency

That infant is not only dependent for food, clothes and shelter, they are also a dependent on your tax return! The IRS provides a tool for you to use to help you determine if someone is your dependent on your tax return.

6. Education planning

With higher education costs skyrocketing, it’s never too early to start saving. Qualified tuition programs (QTPs, also called 529 plans) are programs offered by many states that allow you to either prepay or contribute to an account for paying a student’s qualified education expenses at a postsecondary institution. If you prepay tuition, the student (known as the designated beneficiary) will be entitled to a waiver or a payment of qualified education expenses, which are tax-free (even the earnings!) to the extent of qualified education expenses incurred during the year. Unfortunately, you cannot deduct the payments or contributions to a QTP at the federal level, but you might be able to deduct these at the state level depending upon where you live.

7. The Child Tax Credit

The Child Tax Credit could be as much as $2,000 per qualifying child depending upon your income and filing status. Since children are known to be expensive, paying less in taxes means more diapers or better toys for your baby.

8. Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC / EIC)

The Earned Income Tax Credit could land a taxpayer with three or more qualifying children as a refundable credit of up to $7,430 for 2023. If you claim the credit without children, your credit is much, much lower. As with any tax benefits, you and any qualifying children must meet the specific requirements to be eligible. If you are, the credit amount is based on your total income, the types of income you received, and your filing status.

Visit IRS Publication 596 for more information.

9. Household help

If you employ a nanny or caregiver to help care for your newborn and pay more than $2,600 in 2023, you may need to comply with additional filing requirements. There are federal and state employee withholding taxes you must understand if above certain amount in wages is paid to a household employee. Learn more about nanny taxes.

10. Credit for Child and Dependent Care Expenses

If you paid someone to care for your child while you worked, like a daycare center, you may be able to claim the Child and Dependent Care Credit on your federal income tax return. This credit is based on your amount of earned income and can be up to 35% of your qualifying child care expenses, up to a max amount of $3,000 per child up to $6,000. Of course, there are specific requirements that are laid out in IRS Publication 503. This credit may also be reduced if you receive tax-free dependent care benefits from an employer.

Was this topic helpful?