How Do I Get My AGI From Last Year?
If you’re e-filing your return, the IRS will verify your identity by using your personal tax information from the previous year. Specifically, when you file your return, the IRS compares these two things to see if they match:
- The prior-year adjusted gross income (AGI) you entered
- Your prior-year tax records
If these don’t match, the IRS will reject your return. In most cases, you can easily fix this issue and successfully e-file your return again.
How do you get your AGI from last year? You can locate your prior-year AGI on your 2019 return on Form 1040, Line 8b.
How to Locate Your Previous Year AGI If You Don’t Have Access to Your Return
If you can’t find your prior-year AGI, you have a couple of options. You’ll need to request a copy of a return for 2019 from the IRS, which you can do any of these ways:
- View or download a transcript of your return online at www.irs.gov.
- Go to www.irs.gov and request a hard copy transcript of your return be mailed to you. This will take 5-10 business days.
- Call the IRS at 800-908-9946 and request a hard copy transcript be mailed to you. This will take 5-10 business days.
If you and your spouse filed jointly last year, your spouse’s AGI will be the same as yours. If your spouse had a different AGI, you’ll need his or her information to get their AGI from the IRS.
After you have the correct AGI, go to the overview of your online account and complete these steps:
- At Check Status, next to the federal e-file rejected, click Next Steps.
- From the Check Your E-file Status screen, click Next.
- On the Review Your Rejection Messages screen, click Fix Issues.
- On the Correcting Your Federal Electronic Signature screen, click Next.
- You can now edit your last year’s AGI and/or PIN.
- After you edit those fields, click Continue to File.
- Click the E-file button.
- Click Next to continue through the e-file process.
Find out how you can connect to an H&R Block representative through online chat. Follow these steps from the team at H&R Block.
Learn how to log into your H&R Block online account and troubleshoot any login issues you might be having with these tips.