Can I File an Amended Tax Return With H&R Block Tax Software?
After you file your 2018 return, you might find a mistake you need to fix. You can file an amended return to fix the error. If you filed your 2018 return with us, you can also file an amended tax return with our H&R Block Software — it’s easy.
If you made any changes to your original return before starting your amended return, you must go back and undo those changes. Otherwise, your amended return will contain incorrect information.
Prepare Your Amended Return with H&R Block Software
When you’re ready, here’s how to prepare your amended return:
- Open your originally filed return in the H&R Block Tax Software.
- Click Take Me To in the top right corner.
- Scroll down to Miscellaneous.
- Choose Amended Return (Form 1040X) and click Go To.
- You can now follow the prompts with the program to complete your amended return, or you can read on to follow the step-by-step directions.
- Choose Yes, then click Get Started.
- Click Next until you reach Print Your Original Return screen.
- Click Print at the bottom of the page to print a copy of your filed return.
- Click Next until you reach the Creating the Amended Return screen.
- Follow the on-screen steps to create a new return file. You’ll now have two return files: one for your original return and one for your amended return.
- Click Next until you reach the Print Your Form 1040X screen.
- Click Print at the bottom of the page to print an original Form 1040X. You’ll need this form to fill in values later in the process.
- Click Next until you reach the Amendment Checklist screen.
- Choose Yes, then click Next.
Make Changes to Your Return
Now, you’ll need to make the changes to your return so you can file an amended return with H&R Block Software.
Click Take Me To in the top right corner of the screen to go to the section(s) that need to be corrected. Once you have made the necessary changes to your return:
- Click on Take Me To in the top right corner.
- Scroll down to Miscellaneous.
- Choose Amended Return (Form 1040X), then click Go To.
- Click Next until you reach the Any More Changes screen. Then, choose No.
- Using the original 1040X you printed earlier, type in the amounts from Column C and click Next.
- Complete the information on the Explanation of Changes screen, then click Next.
- Enter any additional information, then click Next until you reach the Print Your Amended Return screen.
- Click Print, then Next to reach the Filing Your Amended Return screen.
Once you prepare your amended return with H&R Block Software, you must print and mail Form 1040X, even if you e-filed your original return. Include copies of any schedules you changed and any forms you didn’t include with your original return.
Was your tax return rejected because your SSN was already used on another return? Learn how to tackle this issue with information from the experts at H&R Block.
Learn how to check your tax refund status in H&R Block software with detailed information from product experts.
Find out what the 2020 H&R Block release date is for both our online and software products so you can be ready to file your 2019 returns.
Learn how to find your H&R Block data file location on your computer with an easy step-by-step explanation.