What Should I Do If the IRS Rejected My Return Due to My Dependent’s Name or SSN?
When the IRS rejects a federal tax return because a dependent’s SSN or name doesn’t match their records, you’ll first want to check that you entered your dependent’s information correctly on your return.
To check this:
- Open your return in the H&R Block Tax Software.
- Click on the Federal tab, then click on the Personal Information tab.
- Click Go To, next to Your Dependents.
- Click Edit next to your dependent’s entry.
- Verify the spelling of the name and the SSN.
- Click Next until you reach the Your Dependents screen.
- Repeat steps 4-6 for each dependent listed.
- If you corrected your information, you’ll need to e-file your return again.
If the IRS rejected your return, but the dependent’s information is correct as you’ve entered it, the problem might be that your tax return was rejected by the IRS because your dependent’s information is wrong in its systems. You’ll need to contact both the IRS and the Social Security Administration (SSA) to correct their records.
- SSA: 800-772-1213
- IRS: 800-829-1040
Filing Again After Your Federal Tax Return Was Rejected Because of a Dependent’s SSN or Name
If the IRS rejected your tax return because your dependent’s information was wrong in its systems, it can take several weeks for the SSA and the IRS to correct their records. You should file your return by mail this year because of all this. We’ll help you do this by including mailing instructions with your printed return.
To file your return by mail:
- Go to the File menu and choose Filing Options.
- Choose Print and mail and proceed through the filing screens.
Has the IRS rejected your return because your prior year AGI was wrong? Learn how to easily fix the problem and file your return again with H&R Block software.
Having problems installing H&R Block Tax Software? Learn how to address some of the most common software installation issues with the tax experts.
Need to update forms for your tax software? Learn how to update H&R Block Software from the comfort of your home with expert information.
Are you using H&R Block and have an IP PIN? Learn how to enter your identity protection PIN into our software with an easy step-by-step process.