ITIN Services

If you need to file your taxes but aren't eligible for a Social Security number.

Ver en español

Apply for an ITIN Tax ID

If you earn money in the United States but you don't qualify for a Social Security Number, H&R Block can help you apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (also known as an ITIN, PIN, Tax ID or Taxpayer ID) and file any and all pending tax returns.

Plus, an ITIN application is FREE* when we prepare your U.S. federal income tax return.88 To get started, visit an H&R Block office today.

*Free ITIN available only at participating H&R Block offices, and applies only when completing an original federal tax return (prior or current year). CAA service not available at all locations.

Why You Need An ITIN

  • It serves as your identification number for filing your federal taxes.
  • It allows you to get a refund from your income withheld by the IRS, if you qualify.
  • It allows you to file your taxes and claim dependents you support in the U.S., Mexico or Canada.89
  • With an ITIN you may be able to open a bank account or apply for a mortgage loan.

What You Need To Apply For An ITIN90

  • A complete IRS Form W-7
  • A U.S. federal income tax return
  • Your Passport or 2 of the following documents: (including at least one identification with photo and one identification from your country):
    • National Identification Document (this must be current, and include name, photo, address, date of birth, and expiration date)
    • U.S. driver's license
    • Birth Certificate (required for a dependent unless a passport is being submitted)
    • State I.D.
    • Voter registration from your country
    • Visa
    • U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services photo I.D.
    • Medical (for dependents only)
    • School records (for dependents and/or students only)

Applying for an ITIN for you, your spouse, and your dependents, can be completed when you prepare your tax return with us, so visit an H&R Block office today.

Certified Acceptance Agent (CAA) Service

Apply for an ITIN and keep your original documents. With this service, you can apply for an ITIN and have one our Certified Acceptance Agents verify your supporting documents90 at one of our participating offices. The benefit to you is that you can keep the supporting documentation, and our CAA will submit copies of these documents, along with your ITIN application, to the IRS for you.

Find The Right Tax Pro
For Your Tax Needs

Our trained Tax Professionals are ready to help with your taxes any time of the year.

Find A Pro

Need Live Support? 1-800-HRBLOCK (1-800-472-5625) or Find An Office