No Social Security Number, No Sweat.
Please enter a ZIP code
Apply for an ITIN
An ITIN will serve as your identification number for filing your taxes. With certified tax professionals and Certified Acceptance Agents (CAAs) nationwide, our offices are well-equipped to guide you through the ITIN application or ITIN renewal process.
Why do I need an ITIN?
Let’s say you’re working and earning money in the United States but you don't qualify for a Social Security Number. An ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, sometimes called a PIN, Tax ID or Taxpayer ID) will serve as your identification number for filing your tax returns. If you do not qualify for an SSN, you will need to apply for an ITIN.
Here's what else your ITIN does:
- It allows you to get a refund from your income withheld by the IRS, if you qualify.
- It allows you to file your taxes and claim dependents you support in the U.S., Mexico or Canada.Disclaimer number 89. Scroll to bottom of page.
- It may allow you to open a bank account or apply for a mortgage loan.
So your ITIN tax ID not only helps you file a tax return, it ensures you get the refund you deserve as quickly as possible.
Your ITIN application or renewal service is free when we prepare your U.S. federal income tax return.Disclaimer number 88. Scroll to bottom of page.
What documents do I need to apply for an ITIN number?Disclaimer number 90. Scroll to bottom of page.
To begin the ITIN application process, you will need to bring:
- A complete IRS Form W-7
- A U.S. federal income tax return
- Your Passport or TWO (2) of the following documents: (including at least one identification with photo and one identification from your country):
- National Identification Document (this must be current, and include your name, photo, address, date of birth, and expiration date)
- U.S. driver's license
- Foreign driver's license
- Birth Certificate (required for a dependent unless a passport is being submitted and the passport has a date of entry into the U.S.)
- State I.D.
- Foreign Voter's Registration card
- Visa issued by the Department of State
- U.S Military ID card
- Foreign Military ID card
- U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services photo I.D.
- Medical (for dependents under age 6 only)
- School records (for dependents under age 18 only)
You can fill out an application form for an ITIN for you, your spouse, and your dependents when you prepare your tax return with us.
Get Helpful On-Site Verification
While the ITIN application or renewal process can be done with any of our tax pros, using a Certified Acceptance Agent (CAA) makes the process a bit easier. Why? With this service, offered at certain participating offices, the CAA will verify your supporting documents.Disclaimer number 90. Scroll to bottom of page. And, because they're verified on-site, your original documents may not need to be mailed to the IRS. Our CAA will submit copies of these documents, along with your ITIN application or renewal, to the IRS for you. Ask your tax professional if a CAA is available at your H&R Block location.
Renew Your ITIN
Millions of ITINs (Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers) will expire as a result of the Protecting Americans from Tax Hikes (PATH) Act enacted in December 2015. An expired ITIN could delay your tax refund and make you ineligible for certain tax credits, such as the Child Tax Credit and the American Opportunity Tax Credit, until your ITIN is renewed.
Who Needs to Renew?
All ITINs issued before 2013 with the following ITIN ranges with middle digits (4th and 5th digit) should renew in 2018.
- 73 (e.g. 9##-73-####)
- 74 (e.g. 9##-74-####)
- 75 (e.g. 9##-75-####)
- 76 (e.g. 9##-76-####)
- 77 (e.g. 9##-77-####)
- 81 (e.g. 9##-81-####)
- 82 (e.g. 9##-82-####)
ITINs that previously expired (middle digits of 70, 71, 72, 78, 79, or 80) can still be renewed.
How To Renew ITIN
We have tax professionals and Certified Acceptance Agents (CAAs) available to answer your questions and quickly process your renewal for free.
- Gather the necessary documents to show proof of identity and foreign status.
- Families with multiple ITINs can renew at the same time – If one person's ITIN expires this year, everyone in the household can renew their ITIN at the same time.
- Apply or renew for FREE when you file a Federal tax return at participating locations.
Renew your ITIN today! If you try to file your return with an expired ITIN, your refund could be considerably delayed. Find your H&R Block Tax Office today to ensure you are prepared.