Frequently asked stimulus check questions
Most taxpayers within the income ranges will be eligible to receive a third stimulus check. You will not receive a third stimulus payment if:
- You don’t have a Social Security number.
- You can be claimed as a dependent
An individual who is deceased before January 1, 2021 is ineligible to receive a third stimulus payment. Trusts and estates are also ineligible.
For additional eligibility information, visit our Coronavirus resource center.
Our stimulus payment calculator can help you estimate how much you may receive.
Yes. The third stimulus payment includes payments for dependents who have a Social Security Number (SSN) or Adoption Tax Identification Number (ATIN), including dependents age 17 and older.
Currently, to receive the full amount, the Adjusted Gross Income from your most recent return the IRS has processed – either 2019 or 2020 – must be below the following amounts for your tax filing status:
- If you filed married filing jointly or as a surviving spouse, your combined income must be equal to or below $150,000
- If you filed as Head-of-Household, your income must be equal to or below $112,500
- If you filed single individual or married filing separately, your income must be equal to or below $75,000
If your AGI was above the following amounts, you are not eligible for the third stimulus:
- If you filed married filing jointly or as a surviving spouse and your combined income is at least $160,000
- If you filed as Head-of-Household and your income is at least $120,000
- If you filed single individual or married filing separately and your household income is at least $80,000
If your income falls in between the lower and upper threshold amounts, your payment phases out proportionately from a full amount at the lower threshold to $0 at the upper threshold. Another way to say it is if your income is halfway between the upper and lower thresholds, your check amount would be reduced by one half. For example, if you filed single with no children and your AGI was $77,500 in 2019, your check amount would be $700. Our IRS stimulus payment calculator can help you estimate how much you may receive!