I separated from my spouse in 2019. In this impending divorce and tax filing scenario, do I qualify to file as head of household (HOH)?
Maybe. With a head of household divorce situation, if you’re separated from your spouse, you must meet these conditions to file as head of household:
- You must be a U.S. citizen or a resident alien for the entire year.
- You must not be married or be considered unmarried on the last day of the year.
- You must be entitled to a dependency exemption for the qualifying person even if you waived the exemption.
- You’re considered unmarried for head of household purposes if:
- You’re single, legally divorced, or separated under a final decree of divorce or separation.
- You live apart from your spouse every day for the last six months of the year. You and your spouse are considered to have lived together even if one or both of you are temporarily absent from your home. If you and your spouse plan to share a common household in the future, you can’t be considered head of household.
- Your spouse was a nonresident alien at any time during the year, and you don’t choose to treat him or her as a resident alien.
- You do both of these:
- File a separate return
- Maintain over half of the cost of a household during the entire taxable year that was the main home of a:
- Qualifying child
- Eligible foster child for the year
Costs of maintaining your home include:
- Mortgage payments
- Real estate taxes
- Utility charges
- Food eaten in the home
These aren’t considered costs of maintaining the home:
- Education and medical expenses
- Life insurance
How many dependents can you claim on your W4? Is there a maximum? Find out more about your tax questions from H&R Block.
Determinar si puedes reclamar el crédito de taxes por ingreso del trabajo puede ser complicado. Los expertos en taxes de H&R Block pueden explicar cómo reunir los requisitos para el crédito por ingreso del trabajo.
Learn whether you can claim education credits and deductions if your child's form 1098-T has his or her SSN on it with advice from the tax experts at
Can you include the sales tax in the price of an item your claiming for a deduction? Learn more from the tax experts at H&R Block.