Since moving I haven’t received W-2 tax information at my new address. Since I know how much I earned, is it possible to estimate earnings so I don’t have to file an extension?
If you don’t receive your Form W-2 at your new address by the middle of February, take these steps to prevent having to request extension:
- Contact your employer as soon as possible. Request a W-2 be sent to your new address.
- If you still don’t receive your W-2 within a reasonable amount of time, call the IRS. Call 800-829-1040 only after Feb. 15 to report the problem.
- If you still don’t receive your W-2 as the tax-filing deadline approaches, take these steps:
- Complete Form 4852: Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement.
- Enter an estimate of your wages and tax withholding on Form 4852. This information is usually on your final pay stub for the year.
- Explain your efforts to obtain your late W-2.
- Attach Form 4852 to your return.
You must take all steps by July 15, 2020, or else file Form 4868 for an extension. You must pay the taxes you owe by July 15, 2020, to avoid interest or penalties.
From the Residential Energy Efficient Property Credit to property tax increases after a remodel, become a savvy home improvement tax guru with H&R Block.
Can you split donations with your spouse if you itemize deductions and file married filing separately? Learn more from the tax experts at H&R Block.
The IRS is providing stimulus payments to the majority of Americans. Find out how the IRS will send your payment with answers from the experts at H&R Block.
Want information about your Illinois state refund? Look no further, as H&R Block provides details on how to obtain your state tax refund in Illinois.