Since moving I haven’t received W-2 tax information at my new address. Since I know how much I earned, is it possible to estimate earnings so I don’t have to file an extension?
If you don’t receive your Form W-2 at your new address by the middle of February, take these steps to prevent having to request extension:
- Contact your employer as soon as possible. Request a W-2 be sent to your new address.
- If you still don’t receive your W-2 within a reasonable amount of time, call the IRS. Call 800-829-1040 only after Feb. 15 to report the problem.
- If you still don’t receive your W-2 as the tax-filing deadline approaches, take these steps:
- Complete Form 4852: Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement.
- Enter an estimate of your wages and tax withholding on Form 4852. This information is usually on your final pay stub for the year.
- Explain your efforts to obtain your late W-2.
- Attach Form 4852 to your return.
You must take all steps by April 15, 2021, or else file Form 4868 for an extension. You must pay the taxes you owe by April 15, 2021, to avoid interest or penalties.
If you were a part of a civil union or had a domestic partner, what filing status should you use on your tax return? Find out from the experts at H&R Block.
Learn what qualifies as a second home with guidance from the tax experts at H&R Block.
Looking for information on Alabama state income tax? Read here to find out who pays, how to pay and more from the tax pros at H&R Block.
Taxpayers with rejected e-file returns due to stimulus payments need to follow special steps. Find out what to do from the tax experts at H&R Block.