Where’s my refund – West Virginia?
To check the status of your West Virginia state refund online, go to https://mytaxes.wvtax.gov/?link=refund.
You will be prompted to enter:
- Your taxpayer ID (Social Security number of the first person shown on the return)
- The tax year
- Refund amount
Then, click “Search” to find your refund.
How long can you expect to wait for your West Virginia refund?
The West Virginia Tax Division continues to respond to an increased risk of fraudulent filings and is implementing enhanced security measures for taxpayers’ protection. As a result, expect a significant delay of your tax refund. You should only call the Tax Division if it has been more than 10 weeks since filing your state tax return.
The typical refund timeframes for correctly filed returns are:
- For an e-filed return: Seven to 8 weeks after the acknowledgement is received from the state.
- For a paper return: Ten to 11 weeks after the return is received by the West Virginia Tax Division.
What can cause a delay in my West Virginia refund?
A few things could cause a longer delay in your West Virginia refund, including the following:
- If you’re a first-time filer. In this case it could delay your refund by roughly three additional weeks to the timelines above.
- If you make a request for more information, it could delay refunds until the requested information is received. Allow approximately six weeks from the receipt of the requested information to review and complete the processing of the return.
- If the West Virginia Tax Division needs to verify information reported on your return or request additional information, the process will take longer.
- Math errors in your return or other adjustments.
- You used more than one form type to complete your return.
- Your return was missing information or incomplete.
- Refund timeframes are general and don’t apply to every refund. Don’t depend on getting a refund by a certain date, especially when making purchases or paying bills.
- Some refunds may ultimately be reduced or result in a balance of tax due depending on the supporting information supplied or on record with the West Virginia Tax Division.
- While many refunds will be paid in a shorter time frame, it’s not abnormal to wait a significant time period if, for any reason, the return requires additional review.
Need more West Virginia refund and tax information?
The following webpages provide more information on West Virginia refunds:
Need more tax guidance?
Whether you make an appointment with one of our knowledgeable tax pros or choose one of our online tax filing products, you can count on H&R Block to help you get the support you need when it comes to filing taxes.
Need to check the status of your federal refund? Visit our Where’s My Refund page to find out how soon you’ll receive your federal refund.
If you need help handling an estate, we're here to help. Learn how to file taxes for a deceased loved one with H&R Block.
From retirement account contributions to self-employment expenses, learn more about the five most common tax deductions with the experts at H&R Block.
Getting married? Having a baby? Buying a house? Go through your life events checklist and see how each can affect your tax return with the experts at H&R Block.
Donating household goods to your favorite charity? Learn the ins and outs of deducting noncash charitable contributions on your taxes with the experts at H&R Block.