What’s a capital gain or a capital loss?
A capital gain occurs when you sell a capital asset for more than what you paid for it.
A capital loss occurs when you sell a capital asset for less than what you paid for it. Most property is considered a capital asset, except these:
- Inventory held for sale to customers
- Depreciable business property
- Real property used in a trade or business
- Creative property like a copyright, literary work, musical, and so on
- Accounts or notes receivable
- Supplies used in a trade or business
Many entrepreneurs find themselves wondering exactly how Bitcoin is taxed. Our H&R Block Tax Pros are prepared to assist self-employed filers with Bitcoin taxation.
If you are selling items at a farmer's market, learn how to file your taxes with H&R Block. From cash income to bartering, these tax tips will help.
What is Cryptocurrency? Bitcoin, Litecoin, and the like leave many wondering how to classify this new form of investment. Find the answer at H&R Block.
Have you recently earned Bitcoin income from rising stock value? Explore the rules surrounding cryptocurrency-sourced capital gains and losses with H&R Block.