IRS Letter 2202 – Your Federal Income Tax Return Has Been Selected for Examination
Your return was selected for audit and the IRS auditor wishes to confirm your initial audit appointment.
Type of Notice: Return accuracy
Most common tax problem area: IRS audits
Why you received IRS Letter 2202
- The IRS selected your tax return for an audit.
- The IRS is requesting that you attend an audit appointment or call if you are unable to be there at the assigned time/date.
- During the appointment, the IRS will expect you to provide documents to support one or more items on your tax return.
Your options to address IRS Letter 2202
- Provide the requested documentation
- Dispute the taxes you owe
- Dispute the penalties
Notice deadline: 10 days
If you miss the deadline: The IRS may not allow the items in question on your tax return and will assess additional tax, penalties, and interest.
Want more help?
See your local tax pro for a free consultation.
Get the facts from H&R Block about IRS representation. Your representative can interact with the IRS and advocate for you when you have a tax issue.
Learn more about form CP42, why you received it, and how to handle an IRS balance due with help from the tax experts at H&R Block.
While you are in an IRS installment agreement, you will receive a CP289 yearly. Learn more about notice CP289 from the tax experts at H&R Block.
Learn how long you should keep your tax records in case return is selected for examination or if you receive an IRS notice. Get the facts from H&R Block.