IRS Letter 2202 – Your Federal Income Tax Return Has Been Selected for Examination
Your return was selected for audit and the IRS auditor wishes to confirm your initial audit appointment.
Type of Notice: Return accuracy
Most common tax problem area: IRS audits
Why you received IRS Letter 2202
- The IRS selected your tax return for an audit.
- The IRS is requesting that you attend an audit appointment or call if you are unable to be there at the assigned time/date.
- During the appointment, the IRS will expect you to provide documents to support one or more items on your tax return.
Your options to address IRS Letter 2202
- Provide the requested documentation
- Dispute the taxes you owe
- Dispute the penalties
Notice deadline: 10 days
If you miss the deadline: The IRS may not allow the items in question on your tax return and will assess additional tax, penalties, and interest.
Want more help?
See your local tax pro for a free consultation.
Learn more about letter 3172, why you received it, and how to handle an IRS notice of federal tax lien with help from the tax experts at H&R Block.
Learn more about form CP523, why you received it, and how to handle an IRS CP523 notice with help from the tax experts at H&R Block.
Get the facts from H&R Block about IRS audit reconsideration. The IRS will agree to reopen a closed audit in certain situations.
Learn what the IRS is looking for during a business tax audit, the steps you should take to prepare for an IRS audit, and when it's best to get expert help.