IRS Letter 2205 – Your Federal Income Tax Return Has Been Selected for Examination
Letter 2205 notifies you that a tax return is being audited.
Type of Notice: Return accuracy
Most common tax problem area: IRS audits
Why you received IRS Letter 2205
- The IRS selected your tax return for an audit.
- The IRS is requesting that you call to make an audit appointment.
- During the appointment, the IRS will expect you to provide documents to support one or more items on your tax return.
Your options to address IRS Letter 2205
- Provide the requested documentation
- Dispute the taxes you owe
- Dispute the penalties
Notice deadline: 7 days
If you miss the deadline: The IRS may not allow the items in question on your tax return and will assess additional tax, penalties and interest.
Want more help?
See your local tax pro for a free consultation.
Learn more about notice CP12, why you received it, and how to handle an IRS CP12 notice with help from the tax experts at H&R Block.
Receive an IRS 916C letter? Learn more about letter 916C, why you received it, and how to handle it with help from the tax experts at H&R Block
Get the facts from H&R Block about IRS Collection Due Process (CDP) hearings, which you can request if you disagree with certain IRS collection actions.
Learn the IRS definition of IRS audits and get more insight from H&R Block about the three types of IRS audits and how to handle them.