IRS Letter 2267C – Past-Due Tax Return Requested

You have a past-due tax return that must be filed.

View notice image

Type of Notice: Late return

Most common tax problem area: Unfiled tax returns

Other tax problem areas: IRS penalties, IRS bill for unpaid taxes

Why you received IRS Letter 2267C

  1. You should have filed a tax return for the year shown on the notice.
  2. The IRS did not receive a tax return for that year.
  3. The IRS sent you a notice requesting the past-due return.
  4. The IRS sends Letter 2267C to give you the date by which you must file the requested return. The IRS usually does not allow more than 60 days.

Your options to address IRS Letter 2267C

  1. File a return

Learn how to file back tax returns.

Notice deadline: It varies, refer to the notice

If you miss the deadline: Failure to file the requested return by the date on the notice could result in additional penalties and the IRS could file a return for you without including deductions and credits you may be entitled to have.

Want more help?

Your tax professional can deal with the IRS for you. Learn more about H&R Block’s Tax Audit & Notice Services. Or make an appointment for a free consultation with a local tax professional by calling 855-536-6504 or finding a local tax pro.

Related Topics

Related Resources

IRS Letter 39 (LT39) – Reminder of Overdue Taxes, Offset of Overpayment

Learn about IRS Letter 39 (LT39), why you received it, and how to address overdue taxes. Get help from the tax experts at H&R Block.

Ignore the IRS Audit And It Will Go Away … Right?

Nobody wants a letter from the IRS -- but you shouldn't ignore one. Here's what happens if you ignore an IRS audit, and how you should respond to the IRS.

How to Handle IRS CP2000 Notices (Underreporter Inquiry)

Learn how the IRS matches your information to generate CP2000 notices, and how to handle one of these underreporter inquiries if the IRS contacts you.

IRS Letter 4551C – Case Closed

Learn more about IRS letter 4551C, including why it was sent and how to respond with help from the tax experts at H&R Block.