IRS Letter 2626C – Request for Additional Information


Letter 2626C is issued by the IRS Automated Underreporter Unit (AUR) to inform you that additional information or further explanation is required to complete the examination process regarding your underreported income case.

View notice image

Type of Notice: Return accuracy

Most common tax problem area: IRS CP2000 underreporter inquires

Other tax problem areas: IRS bill for unpaid taxes, IRS penalties

Why you received IRS Letter 2626C

  1. You received a notice such as a CP2000 from the IRS indicating you may have underreported your income.
  2. You sent information to the IRS.
  3. The IRS sent Letter 2626C in response to the information you provided or regarding a question you had about your notice. You may need to provide additional information.

Your options to address IRS Letter 2626C

  1. Provide the documentation requested
  2. Clear up an account error

Notice deadline: 30 days

If you miss the deadline: If you do not provide the additional information requested, the IRS will send you a statutory notice of deficiency. It will give you 90 days to petition the tax court if you disagree with the IRS proposed assessment of additional tax and penalties.

Want more help?

See your local tax pro for a free consultation.

Get help from an IRS expert

H&R Block’s experts can solve any IRS problem, no matter how complex.

Make an appointment

Or call 855-536-6504

Related Information

How to Handle IRS CP2000 Notices (Underreporter Inquiry)

Learn how the IRS matches your information to generate CP2000 notices, and how to handle one of these underreporter inquiries if the IRS contacts you.

Incorrect CP2000 Notices Are More Common Than You Think

Here are the five things you need to know to respond to the IRS when you get an incorrect CP2000 notice, including how and when to respond.

How to Get More Time to Respond to a CP2000 Notice

If you need more time to respond to an IRS CP2000 notice, ask the IRS to extend the notice deadline. Learn exactly what to do to get more time from the IRS.

How to Research Your IRS Account

Requesting your tax transcripts is the best way to research your IRS tax account. You can also authorize your tax pro to communicate with the IRS for you.

When Not to File an Amended Return

Don't confuse the IRS and make your situation worse by filing an amended return when you shouldn't. Learn more from the tax experts at H&R Block.