IRS Letter 2802C – You Need to Withhold More Taxes

The amount you are having withheld from your paycheck is not enough to cover your taxes.

Type of notice: Account information or change

Possible next step: Address an IRS return or account problem

Also see: IRS bill for unpaid taxes, IRS penalties

Why you received IRS Letter 2802C

  1. You are not currently having enough federal income taxes withheld from your paycheck to cover the taxes you owe.
  2. The IRS sent Letter 2802C to instruct you to file a new Form W-4 with your employer and to increase the amount you are having withheld.

Notice deadline: 30 days

If you miss the deadline: If you do not comply with this request, the IRS will issue a Lock-In Letter requiring your employer to withhold taxes at the highest rate possible.

Want more help?

Your tax professional can deal with the IRS for you. Learn more about H&R Block’s Tax Audit & Notice Services. Or make an appointment for a free consultation with a local tax professional by calling 855-536-6504 or finding a local tax pro.

Related Topics

Related Resources

Tax Dictionary – Self-Employment Tax

Get the facts about IRS self-employment tax and what to do if you get a notice. Read the IRS definition and more insight from the experts at H&R Block.

Tax Dictionary – Deficiency Procedures

Get the facts from H&R Block about IRS deficiency procedures, which are notices the IRS sends when you owe taxes because of an underlying tax problem.

Tax Dictionary – Tax Fraud

Tax fraud is more than just leaving an item off a return. Read the IRS definition and get more insight from the tax experts at H&R Block.

Tax Dictionary – Tax Debt Relief

If you owe a balance to the IRS, you may have several tax debt relief options. Learn more from the tax experts at H&R Block.