IRS Letter 3172 – The IRS Filed a Notice of Federal Tax Lien Against You and You Have a Right to a Hearing
A federal tax lien has been filed. You will also receive a copy of 668Y, which is the actual notice of federal tax lien.
Type of Notice: Unpaid balance
Most common tax problem area: IRS bill for unpaid taxes
Other tax problem areas: IRS penalties
Why you received IRS Letter 3172
- You have an unpaid balance due.
- The IRS sent notices requesting payment, but the balance was not paid.
- The IRS filed a Notice of Federal Tax Lien at your local court house.
- The Letter 3172 informs you of your right to appeal the lien filing.
Your options to address IRS Letter 3172
- Dispute the taxes you owe
- Dispute the penalties
- Make arrangements to pay
Notice deadline: 30 days
If you miss the deadline: You will lose your right to appeal the lien filing.
Want more help?
See your local tax pro for a free consultation.
Was this topic helpful?