IRS Letter 4402C – Identity Theft Verified

The documentation you submitted to the IRS has been received and an identity theft marker has been placed on your tax account.

Type of notice: Account information or change

Likely next step: Address tax identity theft

Why you received IRS Letter 4402C

  1. Your identifying information, like your Social Security Number or Employer Identification Number has been or is suspected to have been stolen or compromised.
  2. You notified the IRS of the potential for ID theft and its possible impact on your tax account.
  3. The IRS requested that you provide documentation of the potential or known ID theft.
  4. You submitted documentation to the IRS.
  5. The IRS sent Letter 4402C to notify you it has received the required ID theft documentation and there is no tax related activity currently on the account. The notice also informs you that an ID theft marker has been placed on your account to flag any future tax related issues.

Notice deadline: None

Want more help?

Your tax professional can deal with the IRS for you. Learn more about H&R Block’s Tax Audit & Notice Services. Or make an appointment for a free consultation with a local tax professional by calling 855-536-6504 or finding a local tax pro.

Related Topics

Related Resources

Tax Dictionary – Injured Spouse

Get the facts from H&R Block about IRS injured spouse relief, which allows a spouse to claim his or her share of a joint tax refund in specific situations.

IRS Notice CP177 – Intent to Seize Your Assets and Notice of Your Right to a Hearing

Learn more about notice CP177 and how to handle an IRS tax bill for your business with help from the tax experts at H&R Block.

Tax Dictionary – Private Debt Collection

Get the facts from H&R Block about the IRS program that outsources collection of tax debts to private debt collectors in specific circumstances.

Tax Dictionary – Form W-2G, Certain Gambling Winnings

If you receive a Form W-2G for gambling winnings, you must report the full amount of income shown on the W-2G on your tax return. Learn more from H&R Block.