IRS Notice CP2566 – The IRS Still has not Received Your Form 1040 – You Must File a Tax Return


Type of notice: Late return

Likely next step: Address unfiled tax returns

Also see: IRS penalties, IRS bill for unpaid taxes

Why you received IRS Notice CP2566

  1. The IRS never received a tax return from you for the year specified on your notice.
  2. You were sent previous notices asking you to file a tax return because the IRS had not received one, but a response was never received.
  3. The IRS has completed a tax return for you and has calculated your tax, penalties and interest based on wages and other income reported to the IRS.

Notice deadline: 30 days

If you miss the deadline: The IRS will process the return and assess tax, penalties and interest. The IRS will send you a bill for the balance due. This amount will likely be much higher than what you would owe if you had filed your own return, because the IRS calculates the taxes you owe at the highest tax rate and with no deductions.

Want more help?

Your tax professional can deal with the IRS for you. Learn more about H&R Block’s Tax Audit & Notice Services. Or make an appointment for a free consultation with a local tax professional by calling 855-536-6504 or finding a local tax pro.

Get help from an IRS expert

H&R Block’s experts can solve any IRS problem, no matter how complex.

Make an appointment

Or call 855-536-6504

Related Information

How to File Back Tax Returns with the IRS

Learn about the consequences and complications of an unflied tax return from the experts at H&R Block.

Nine Tips to Get Back on Track with the IRS When You Haven’t Filed Tax Returns

If you haven't filed required tax returns, find out how far back you may need to file, and get the nine tips you need to know about filing back tax returns.

Don’t Pay an IRS Penalty Without Looking Into Penalty Relief

The IRS grants four types of penalty relief, but many taxpayers don't ever ask. Learn how to request penalty abatement from the IRS.

How to Get Your Old IRS Forms W-2 and 1099

Need copies of your old Forms W-2 or 1099? Learn about the four different ways to obtain IRS wage and income transcripts from the tax experts at H&R Block.

How to Research Your IRS Account

Requesting your tax transcripts is the best way to research your IRS tax account. You can also authorize your tax pro to communicate with the IRS for you.

What to Do If I Owe Taxes and Can’t Pay

Can’t pay your taxes this year? You’re not alone. Learn why you should still file your return even if you can't pay from the tax experts at H&R Block.