IRS Notice CP3219A – Notice of Deficiency & Increase in Tax

The IRS changed the amount of income tax on your return for the tax year shown on the notice.

View notice CP3219A image

Type of notice: Return accuracy

Most common tax problem area: CP2000 underreporter inquiries

Other tax problem areas: IRS bill from unpaid taxes, IRS penalties

Why you received IRS Notice CP3219A

  1. After the IRS processed your return, additional information was reported to the IRS by third parties, such as your employer, bank, mortgage holder or other financial institution.
  2. The IRS sent you one or more notices requesting that you verify the income, credits or deductions on your tax return, but the IRS never received a response.
  3. The IRS is notifying you of your tax deficiency and explaining your right to file a petition in Tax Court.

Your options to address IRS Notice CP3219A

  1. Dispute the taxes you owe.
  2. Dispute the penalties.
  3. Make arrangements to pay.

Notice deadline: 90 days

If you miss the deadline: If you do not file a petition with the U.S. Tax Court by the date shown on the notice, you lose your right to challenge the additional assessment of tax. If no petition is filed with the court by the deadline, the IRS will assess tax, penalties and interest and send you a bill for the balance due.

Want more help?

See your local tax pro for a free consultation.

Related Topics

Related Resources

Tax Dictionary – IRS Tax Problem Help

Need help with an IRS tax problem? The tax experts at H&R Block are here to help.

What Does It Mean to be Audited? | H&R Block

What does it mean to be audited? Learn more about the process of being audited by the IRS with the tax experts at H&R Block.

IRS Notice CP81 – The IRS Hasn’t Received Your Tax Return

Don't miss out on a tax refund. Learn more about notice CP81 and how to handle an IRS CP81 notice with help from the tax experts at H&R Block.

IRS Notice CP87D – You Need to Make Sure You Are Not Someone’s Dependent

Learn about the IRS Notice CP87D, why you received it, and how to address it with help from the tax experts at H&R Block.