IRS Notice CP42 – The IRS Applied Your Refund to Taxes Owed
Type of notice: Unpaid balance
Most common tax problem area: IRS bill for unpaid taxes
Other tax problem areas: IRS penalties
Why you received IRS Notice CP42
- You, your spouse, or both of you had an unpaid tax balance.
- The return you recently filed has a refund.
- The IRS took all or part of the refund to pay the unpaid balance.
Your options to address IRS Notice CP42
- Dispute the taxes you owe.
- Dispute the penalties.
- Make arrangements to pay.
Notice deadline: N/A
If you miss the deadline: N/A
Want more help?
See your local tax pro for a free consultation.
Learn the IRS definition of IRS audits and get more insight from H&R Block about the three types of IRS audits and how to handle them.
Learn more about notice CP259 and how to handle an IRS CP259 notice with help from the tax experts at H&R Block.
Learn about the IRS Notice CP87D and claiming dependent on tax returns. Get tax help from the tax experts at H&R Block.
Learn more about notice LT18 and how to handle an IRS LT18 notice with help from the tax experts at H&R Block.