Missed The Tax Deadline – Now What?


The deadline to file a tax return has come and gone. Did you miss it? Depending on your situation that could be cause for an “oops” or it could mean you need to take action ASAP to avoid owing any more to the IRS.

If you missed the tax deadline but are due a refund there is no penalty. The government is happy to hold on to your money, interest-free, for a bit longer. In fact, you have up to three years from the filing deadline to complete a return and get that refund.

Don’t delay too long though. This is especially true if you get a Premium Tax Credit to help pay for insurance. Failure to file a tax return could jeopardize that credit, so it’s better to act soon. You can still make an appointment at an H&R Block office or start online.

If you owe taxes and missed the deadline, there’s good news and bad news.

Bad news: You can’t file an extension at this point.

More bad news: you will be charged failure-to-file and failure-to-pay penalties for missing the deadline.

Good news: You can still file.

Ok, that might not seem like great news. How about this: The sooner you file, the less you’ll pay in penalties.

Read more about exactly how those penalties are calculated. Generally, the IRS charges them on a monthly basis, but they can be prorated for a portion of a month. So it’s a good idea to file as soon as possible to limit the charges you may incur. After 60 days pass, you will incur an established minimum penalty that is the lesser of $205 or 100% of the unpaid tax you owe.

So there is a simple solution: Get that tax return filed and make it a priority now. Learn more about how to file back tax returns and how to reduce penalties and interest if you qualify. Get help from a trusted IRS expert.

Start filing online for free.

Get help from an IRS expert

H&R Block’s experts can solve any IRS problem, no matter how complex.

Make an appointment

Or call 855-536-6504

Related Information

How to File Back Tax Returns with the IRS

Learn about the consequences and complications of an unflied tax return from the experts at H&R Block.

Don’t Pay an IRS Penalty Without Looking Into Penalty Relief

The IRS grants four types of penalty relief, but many taxpayers don't ever ask. Learn how to request penalty abatement from the IRS.

Nine Tips to Get Back on Track with the IRS When You Haven’t Filed Tax Returns

If you haven't filed required tax returns, find out how far back you may need to file, and get the nine tips you need to know about filing back tax returns.

How to Get Your Old IRS Forms W-2 and 1099

Need copies of your old Forms W-2 or 1099? Learn about the four different ways to obtain IRS wage and income transcripts from the tax experts at H&R Block.