Tax Dictionary – Extension of Time to Pay Taxes

IRS Definition

You may request a short additional time to pay your tax in full using the Online Payment Agreement application on Taxpayers who request and are granted an additional 120 days to pay the tax in full generally will pay less in penalties and interest than if the debt were repaid through an installment agreement over a greater period of time. There is no fee for this short extension of time to pay.

More from H&R Block

If you owe taxes and can’t pay right away, but just need some extra time, you can request a short-term extension of time to pay of up to 120 days.

Once the IRS grants your extension, the IRS will send you a letter with your total pay-off amount calculated through the extension deadline. If you can’t pay the full balance by that date, contact the IRS before the deadline to request another type of payment plan or other agreement.

Learn all the options you may have if you can’t pay your taxes.

Related Topics

Related Resources

IRS Letter 3219B – Notice of Deficiency

Learn more about Letter 3219B and how to handle an IRS notice of deficiency for your business with help from the tax experts at H&R Block.

IRS Letter 853C – Penalty Waiver or Abatement Disallowed

Request to remove IRS penalties denied? You still have options. Get help with letter 853C from the tax experts at H&R Block.

IRS Notice CP23 – Estimated Tax Discrepancy/Balance Due

Notice CP23 notifies you of an estimated tax discrepancy. Learn more about notice CP23 and how to handle it with help from the tax experts at H&R Block.

IRS Notice CP60 – Misapplied Payments

Learn more about form CP60, why you received it, and how to handle an IRS CP60 notice with help from the tax experts at H&R Block.