Identity Theft Victim Assistance (IDTVA)


IRS Definition

If you learn you are a victim of tax-related identity theft, for example, your e-filed return rejects because of a duplicate tax filing with your Social Security number, and you report the incident to the IRS:

  • You should file by paper if you are unable to e-file
  • You should complete and file Form 14039, Identity Theft Affidavit, with your paper tax return
  • Your tax return and Form 14039 are received for processing by the IRS.
  • You’ll receive an acknowledgment letter
  • Your case goes to the IRS’ Identity Theft Victim Assistance (IDTVA) organization if another return is already present on the account, where it will be handled by employees with specialized training
  • The Identity Theft Victim Assistance organization will work your case by:
    • Assessing the scope of the issues and trying to determine if your case affects one or more tax years.
    • Addressing all the issues related to the fraudulent return. This includes determining if there are additional victims, who may be unknown to you, listed on the fraudulent return.
    • Researching the case to double check all the names, addresses and SSNs are accurate or fraudulent.
    • Conducting a case analysis to determine if all outstanding issues were addressed
    • Ensuring your tax return is properly processed and if you are due a refund, releasing your refund.
    • Removing the fraudulent return from your tax records.
    • Marking your tax account with an identity theft indicator, which completes our work on your case and helps protect you in the future.
  • You will receive notification that your case has been resolved. This is generally within 120 days but complex cases may take 180 days or longer
  • Certain tax-related identity theft victims will be placed into the Identity Protection PIN program and annually receive a new, six-digit IP PIN that must be entered on the tax return. The IP PIN adds an extra layer of identity protection. Some taxpayers will be given the option of getting an IP PIN, using the tool.

More from H&R Block

You may find out a fraudulent return has been filed under your SSN when you receive an e-file rejection notice, an unpaid balance notice, or a CP2000, Underreported Income notice from the IRS. You should call the number on the notice to tell the IRS that the return filed was fraudulent. If you do not receive a resolution within a reasonable time frame, you can contact the IRS Identity Protection Specialized Unit at (800) 908-4490 and request assistance.
If your tax related identity theft issue is causing you financial hardship, you can contact the Taxpayer Advocate Service at (877) 777-4778 for assistance.

You could potentially have other ID theft issues if you have tax related identity theft. Go to which is the Federal Trade Commission’s website that provides information and steps you can take if your identity was stolen.

Learn how to address tax identity theft and refund fraud.

Get help from an IRS expert

H&R Block’s experts can solve any IRS problem, no matter how complex.

Make an appointment

Or call 855-536-6504

Related Information

Private: How to Address Tax Identity Theft and Refund Fraud

Learn how to investigate tax identity theft, solve the problem with the IRS, and prevent tax identity theft and refund fraud going forward.

What Happens After You Report Identity Theft to the IRS

Did someone file a fraudulent return in your name? Get the facts about reporting tax identity theft to the IRS and what you can expect after you report it.

Want to Know if You’re in Good Standing with the IRS? Here’s How.

For many people, their status with the IRS is a mystery. Learn four ways to request your tax information from the IRS to make sure you're in good standing.

Power of Attorney: It’s How Your Tax Pro Deals with the IRS For You

Learn the three main benefits of engaging a power of attorney to research your IRS account and resolve your tax problems. Get the facts from the experts at H&R Block.