Private Debt Collection
The IRS began a new private collection program for certain overdue federal tax debts. The new program, authorized under a federal law enacted by Congress, enables designated contractors to collect, on the government’s behalf, outstanding inactive tax receivables.
More from H&R Block
In 2017, the IRS began to turn over accounts it’s no longer actively working to private debt collectors. Those accounts include situations in which:
- There’s a lack of resources.
- The IRS can’t locate the taxpayer.
- One year has passed without any IRS collection activity.
- More than one-third of the 10-year statute of limitations has passed, and no IRS employee has been assigned for collection.
The IRS will send a CP40 notice to inform you that your case has been transferred to a private debt collector. The collector will also send you a letter informing you that it has received your case.
The IRS won’t transfer delinquent accounts if you are:
- Under IRS audit
- Under 18
- A victim of tax identity theft
- In currently not collectible status
- In a combat zone or disaster area
- Currently working with appeals
- In an installment agreement
- Appealing a case in U.S. Tax Court
- Being levied
- Waiting on a pending innocent spouse or offer in compromise application
Get help from an IRS expert
H&R Block’s experts can solve any IRS problem, no matter how complex.
Learn about the different options when you can't pay or still owe money from a past return from the tax experts at H&R Block.
Liens and levies are tools the IRS uses to collect back taxes. Learn more about each one -- and how to avoid tax liens and levies by working with the IRS.
Seriously delinquent tax debt can cause your passport to be restricted. Find out if you could be impacted and learn how to fix the problem.
You have options when you owe taxes. Get the facts about the best way to pay your tax bill with help from the experts at H&R Block.
Get the facts from H&R Block about the four types of IRS penalty relief, and which IRS penalty relief option may be best for your situation.