My spouse and I sold our home in a short sale. We received two 1099-C short sale forms. Both 1099-C Form short sale documents have our names on them, but one has her name first and the other has my name first. Box 2 on each contains the same amount. How do I report this?


There are two possibilities regarding the recording of the 1099-C Form short sale. The lender might have issued two 1099-C short sale documents each containing the full amount of the cancelled debt. If this is true, report only the total debt cancelled — not the combined amount from both Forms 1099-C. If you’re married filing separately, you’ll each report your share of the cancelled debt on your own return.

However, each 1099-C might instead report half of the cancelled debt. If so, combine the amounts from the two documents to report the income on your joint return with your spouse. If you’re married filing separately, report your share of the total cancelled debt on your own return.

If you meet the criteria, you might be able to exclude income from the cancellation of debt using Form 982.

Related Topics

Related Resources

What Is a W-9 Tax Form?

If you need to complete a W-9 tax form, you may be asking what it’s used for and why it’s needed. We explain the purpose and use of an IRS W-9 form.

Estimated Tax Form 1040ES

Do you need to file estimated taxes each quarter? Learn more about quarterly tax payments and get tax answers at H&R Block.

What To Do With A Tax Refund

Wondering how to use your tax refund? You can save your tax refund or pay down debt to improve your financial situation. Learn more at H&R Block.

Top Four Reasons to File an Amended Return

Need help deciding if you need to file an amended return (IRS Form 1040X)? Get the facts from the tax experts at H&R Block.