Checking Status of Tax Refund
If you’re expecting a big tax refund, you want it as quickly as possible. If you mail your return early in the tax season, you’ll receive your tax refund in about four to six weeks. However, if you wait and file your return close to the filing deadline, it will take about eight weeks.
To get your refund sooner, e-file your return.
You can check the status of your refund by:
- Calling the IRS TeleTax System at 800-829-4477 or the IRS Refund Hotline at 800-829-1954.
- Going to www.irs.gov:
- Choose Where’s My Refund?
- Enter identifying information.
Have your return on hand, since you’ll need it to answer some questions. To check on your refund, you’ll need to provide your:
- Social Security number (SSN) or another taxpayer identification number
- Filing status
- Exact amount of the refund shown on the return
Why is my refund less than I expected?
It could be for these reasons:
- You might have made a mathematical error or some other mistake on your return.
- The IRS might have deducted these amounts from your refund:
- Delinquent federal or state taxes
- Back child support
- Past-due non-tax federal debts, like student loans
You should receive a notice explaining the mistake or any adjustments made to your refund. The notice should include explanations of deductions for prior debts. Since your refund check and the notice come from different IRS locations, you might receive the explanation after you receive the refund check.
The IRS intends to terminate your installment agreement. Learn more about IRs letter 2975 and how to address it with help from the tax experts at H&R Block.
Here's a list of tax documents you'll need to file this year's return. Get ready to file your taxes with H&R Block.
Can you file your taxes without a W-2 form? If you are missing your W-2 form, the Tax Institute can help. Learn what to do so you can get your taxes filed before the deadline.
Learn more about IRS Letter 3666C, why you received the letter, and what it means for you with help from the tax experts at H&R Block.