What debt can offset my tax refund?
The following circumstances create the potential for debt offset that can affect your refund:
- Overdue federal tax debts
- Past-due child support money
- Federal agency non-tax debts
- State income tax debt
- Unemployment compensation debts owed to a state (for fraudulent wages paid or contributions due to a state fund)
- Student direct and guaranteed loan repayments
- Small Business Administration (SBA) loan repayments
- Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) loan repayments
Find out how to check your IRS refund status and what you need to get your tax return. H&R Block is here to help you get your tax refund.
Learn more about student loan tax refund garnishment from the tax experts at H&R Block.
Learn whether the payment status of your student loans entitles the IRS to take your tax return from the tax experts at H&R Block.
Did you see a change in your refund amount? Learn why the IRS makes changes to your tax refund based on credits and deductions from the tax experts at