What debt can offset my tax refund?
The following circumstances create the potential for debt offset that can affect your refund:
- Overdue federal tax debts
- Past-due child support money
- Federal agency non-tax debts
- State income tax debt
- Unemployment compensation debts owed to a state (for fraudulent wages paid or contributions due to a state fund)
- Student direct and guaranteed loan repayments
- Small Business Administration (SBA) loan repayments
- Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) loan repayments
Learn more about student loan tax refund garnishment from the tax experts at H&R Block.
Did you see a change in your refund amount? Learn why the IRS makes changes to your tax refund based on credits and deductions from the tax experts at
Issues with your bank account could cause tax refund delays. Learn more about direct deposit tax refunds from the tax experts at H&R Block.
Learn how filing an amended tax return can impact your refund with help from the tax experts at H&R Block.