What debt can offset my tax refund?
The following circumstances create the potential for debt offset that can affect your refund:
- Overdue federal tax debts
- Past-due child support money
- Federal agency non-tax debts
- State income tax debt
- Unemployment compensation debts owed to a state (for fraudulent wages paid or contributions due to a state fund)
- Student direct and guaranteed loan repayments
- Small Business Administration (SBA) loan repayments
- Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) loan repayments
Learn more about the IRS refund process. Get information on when you can file your taxes and when to expect your refund.
Will you be subject to an audit if you amend a return to report a charitable donation? Learn more from the tax experts at H&R Block.
Learn more about the IRA Tax Rules and if there will be an early distribution penalty from the experts at H&R Block.
Get the facts from H&R Block about IRS injured spouse relief, which allows a spouse to claim his or her share of a joint tax refund in specific situations.