What debt can offset my tax refund?
The following circumstances create the potential for debt offset that can affect your refund:
- Overdue federal tax debts
- Past-due child support money
- Federal agency non-tax debts
- State income tax debt
- Unemployment compensation debts owed to a state (for fraudulent wages paid or contributions due to a state fund)
- Student direct and guaranteed loan repayments
- Small Business Administration (SBA) loan repayments
- Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) loan repayments
Donating a qualified vehicle to a charity? Learn how Form 1098-C is used to report the details of your donation and how it affects your deduction.
Read the IRS definition of "incomplete for processing" in relation to tax returns and get more insight from the tax experts at H&R Block.