What debt can offset my tax refund?
The following circumstances create the potential for debt offset that can affect your refund:
- Overdue federal tax debts
- Past-due child support money
- Federal agency non-tax debts
- State income tax debt
- Unemployment compensation debts owed to a state (for fraudulent wages paid or contributions due to a state fund)
- Student direct and guaranteed loan repayments
- Small Business Administration (SBA) loan repayments
- Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) loan repayments
Do you need more time to file taxes? Review these time-sensitive tax pro tips to prepare for the tax filing extension deadline. Read more from our pros on the H&R Block blog.
Do you know how to read a credit report? H&R Block tax pros have prepared the top 5 items you should look for when conducting a credit report review.
If you owe a balance to the IRS, you may have several tax debt relief options. Learn more from the tax experts at H&R Block.
Did you receive a penalty for not filing the correct information returns? Read the IRS definition and get more insight from the tax experts at H&R Block.