I received a Form 1099-MISC but didn’t make a quarterly estimated taxes payment during the year. Will I owe an underpayment penalty?
Maybe. You might owe an underpayment penalty for tax underpaid if:
- Your total tax for the current year minus withholding and credits is more than $1,000.
- Your tax withholdings and credits are less than:Â
- 90% of your current tax liability
- 100% of your prior-year tax liability
- 110% of your prior-year tax liability if your adjusted gross income (AGI) last year was more than $150,000 or $75,000 if you and your spouse file separately.
You’ll figure your penalty on Form 2210.
Learn more about the W-4 exempt status with help from H&R Block. You’ll be able to determine if you are exempt from federal withholding here.
Many Americans who have lost jobs due to the coronavirus impact are eligible for unemployment benefits. Find out what you need to know from the team at H&R Block.
Not sure what to include in your amended tax return (Form 1040X)? Learn how to file an amended tax return with help from H&R Block.
You can claim an exemption on IRA withdrawals with Form 5329, but how do you know if you're eligible? Get tax answers at H&R Block.