I received a Form 1099-MISC but didn’t make a quarterly estimated taxes payment during the year. Will I owe an underpayment penalty?
Maybe. You might owe an underpayment penalty for tax underpaid if:
- Your total tax for the current year minus withholding and credits is more than $1,000.
- Your tax withholdings and credits are less than:Â
- 90% of your current tax liability
- 100% of your prior-year tax liability
- 110% of your prior-year tax liability if your adjusted gross income (AGI) last year was more than $150,000 or $75,000 if you and your spouse file separately.
You’ll figure your penalty on Form 2210.
Learn more about letter 566, why you received it, and how to handle an IRS audit with help from the tax experts at H&R Block.
All or a portion of your tax refund was taken to pay non-tax debt. Learn more about IRS letter 3179C from the tax experts at H&R Block.
If the IRS made a change to your tax return and sent you a notice, you have options. Learn more from the tax experts at H&R Block.
Need help determining worker classification? Read the IRS definition and get more insight from the tax experts at H&R Block.