I received a Form 1099-MISC but didn’t make a quarterly estimated taxes payment during the year. Will I owe an underpayment penalty?
Maybe. You might owe an underpayment penalty for tax underpaid if:
- Your total tax for the current year minus withholding and credits is more than $1,000.
- Your tax withholdings and credits are less than:Â
- 90% of your current tax liability
- 100% of your prior-year tax liability
- 110% of your prior-year tax liability if your adjusted gross income (AGI) last year was more than $150,000 or $75,000 if you and your spouse file separately.
You’ll figure your penalty on Form 2210.
The Statutory Notice of Deficiency is part of a series of notices sent by the IRS to propose additional tax, penalties and interest. Learn more from the tax experts at H&R Block.
What do 2017 federal tax brackets and March Madness have in common? The Tax Institute Director Gil Charney weighs-in. Read more from H&R Block.
Do you need to file estimated taxes each quarter? Learn more about quarterly tax payments and get tax answers at H&R Block.
Get the latest updates on the Protecting Americans from Tax Hikes Act. Learn how the PATH Act may affect your tax refund this year.