I received a Form 1099-MISC but didn’t make a quarterly estimated taxes payment during the year. Will I owe an underpayment penalty?
Maybe. You might owe an underpayment penalty for tax underpaid if:
- Your total tax for the current year minus withholding and credits is more than $1,000.
- Your tax withholdings and credits are less than:Â
- 90% of your current tax liability
- 100% of your prior-year tax liability
- 110% of your prior-year tax liability if your adjusted gross income (AGI) last year was more than $150,000 or $75,000 if you and your spouse file separately.
You’ll figure your penalty on Form 2210.
Does your refund look a bit different this year? Learn more about refundable tax credits and how they can affect your return from the tax experts at H
Can your dependent claim a Form 1098-T on their return? Learn more from the tax experts at H&R Block.
If you need more time to respond to an IRS CP2000 notice, ask the IRS to extend the notice deadline. Learn exactly what to do to get more time from the IRS.
Can you deduct an early withdrawal penalty from your taxes? Knowing the answer can make a difference. Get tax answers at H&R Block.