I received a Form 1099-MISC but didn’t make a quarterly estimated taxes payment during the year. Will I owe an underpayment penalty?
Maybe. You might owe an underpayment penalty for tax underpaid if:
- Your total tax for the current year minus withholding and credits is more than $1,000.
- Your tax withholdings and credits are less than:Â
- 90% of your current tax liability
- 100% of your prior-year tax liability
- 110% of your prior-year tax liability if your adjusted gross income (AGI) last year was more than $150,000 or $75,000 if you and your spouse file separately.
You’ll figure your penalty on Form 2210.
Learn more about IRS Notice CP15H and how to address a Shared Responsibility Payment Penalty with help from the tax experts at H&R Block.
The IRS phone scam has become one of the most commonly-used fraud tools. Our Tax Professionals list the top three facts to protect you from falling victim.
Your excess estimated tax payments have been released and a refund will be sent to you. Learn more about IRS notice CP17 from the tax experts at H&R Block.
Learn more about notice CP210-220, why it was sent, and how to handle the notice with help from the tax experts at H&R Block.