I received a Form 1099-MISC but didn’t make a quarterly estimated taxes payment during the year. Will I owe an underpayment penalty?
Maybe. You might owe an underpayment penalty for tax underpaid if:
- Your total tax for the current year minus withholding and credits is more than $1,000.
- Your tax withholdings and credits are less than:Â
- 90% of your current tax liability
- 100% of your prior-year tax liability
- 110% of your prior-year tax liability if your adjusted gross income (AGI) last year was more than $150,000 or $75,000 if you and your spouse file separately.
You’ll figure your penalty on Form 2210.
Find out how long the IRS has to audit your return, when most audits normally start, and how to know if you've been selected for audit.
Learn more about like-kind exchange rules and get tax answers at H&R Block.
An auditor is an IRS employee that examines your tax return for accuracy. Learn more about auditors from the tax experts at H&R Block.
It's rare to receive a phone call from the IRS, and you'll always get an IRS notice in advance. Learn more from the tax experts at H&R Block.