I received a Form 1099-MISC but didn’t make a quarterly estimated taxes payment during the year. Will I owe an underpayment penalty?
Maybe. You might owe an underpayment penalty for tax underpaid if:
- Your total tax for the current year minus withholding and credits is more than $1,000.
- Your tax withholdings and credits are less than:Â
- 90% of your current tax liability
- 100% of your prior-year tax liability
- 110% of your prior-year tax liability if your adjusted gross income (AGI) last year was more than $150,000 or $75,000 if you and your spouse file separately.
You’ll figure your penalty on Form 2210.
Find out what happens with your future tax refunds when you have an IRS payment plan established. Review these details from H&R Block.
Not sure if you are withholding enough from your paycheck given the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act? Learn how to estimate your 2018 tax liability with H&R Block.
IRS notices can be confusing or even incorrect. Your best bet is to try to avoid the notice in the first place. Get the facts from the experts at H&R Block.
Your request for a reduced installment agreement user fee was denied. Learn how to address letter 4213C with help from the tax experts at H&R Block.