I received a Form 1099-MISC but didn’t make a quarterly estimated taxes payment during the year. Will I owe an underpayment penalty?
Maybe. You might owe an underpayment penalty for tax underpaid if:
- Your total tax for the current year minus withholding and credits is more than $1,000.
- Your tax withholdings and credits are less than:Â
- 90% of your current tax liability
- 100% of your prior-year tax liability
- 110% of your prior-year tax liability if your adjusted gross income (AGI) last year was more than $150,000 or $75,000 if you and your spouse file separately.
You’ll figure your penalty on Form 2210.
The Taxpayer Advocate Service is requesting information from you. Learn more about IRS letter 2904 from the tax experts at H&R Block.
Learn more about IRS Letter 167C, why you received the letter, and what it means for you with help from the tax experts at H&R Block.
Learn more about the IRS refund process. Get information on when you can file your taxes and when to expect your refund.
Learn more about notice CP162, why you received the notice, and your options to address an IRS penalty with help from the tax experts at H&R Block.