I received a Form 1099-MISC but didn’t make a quarterly estimated taxes payment during the year. Will I owe an underpayment penalty?
Maybe. You might owe an underpayment penalty for tax underpaid if:
- Your total tax for the current year minus withholding and credits is more than $1,000.
- Your tax withholdings and credits are less than:Â
- 90% of your current tax liability
- 100% of your prior-year tax liability
- 110% of your prior-year tax liability if your adjusted gross income (AGI) last year was more than $150,000 or $75,000 if you and your spouse file separately.
You’ll figure your penalty on Form 2210.
If you have a tax balance that you can't pay right away, let the experts at H&R Block show you how to set up an IRS installment payment plan.
Do you need to apply for a state filing extension? Learn more from the tax experts at H&R Block.
Your request for audit reconsideration was partially or fully disallowed. Learn how to address letter 3340C with help from the tax experts at H&R Block.
Learn more about Letter 3219B and how to handle an IRS notice of deficiency for your business with help from the tax experts at H&R Block.