I received a Form 1099-MISC but didn't make a quarterly estimated taxes payment during the year. Will I owe an underpayment penalty?
Maybe. You might owe an underpayment penalty for tax underpaid if:
- Your total tax for the current year minus withholding and credits is more than 1000.
- Your tax withholdings and credits are less than:Â
- .90 of your current tax liability
- 1 of your prior-year tax liability
- 110% of your prior-year tax liability if your adjusted gross income (AGI) last year was more than 150000 or 75000 if you and your spouse file separately.
You’ll figure your penalty on Form 2210.
Learn more about the health insurance penalty and what fees you risk incurring with advice from the tax experts at H&R Block.
Learn about the early withdrawal penalties and tax rules for both a Traditional and Roth IRA from the tax experts at H&R Block.
Have you ever thought about investing in a Cayman Islands tax haven? Before opening an account, or making adjustments to an already existing account, review these tax tips.
Learn more about the IRS underpayment tax penalty from the tax experts at H&R Block.