An open letter from Bill Cobb, CEO of H&R Block
Dear Clients and Future Clients,
Today is the first day of tax season, and you might think I am writing an open letter in this forum to tell you that we are ready for you—and we are! But the real reason I am writing is because I am offended that TurboTax® is targeting our 90,000 H&R Block tax professionals in a series of commercials that we believe to be false and misleading.
TurboTax is trying to promote itself on the backs of our tax professionals, misusing our nearly 60-year-old brand and taking cheap shots at hardworking plumbers and retail sales clerks, not to mention millions of Americans holding down two jobs. We say no way—not on our watch.
I am incredibly proud of our tax professionals, who for nearly six decades have built the H&R Block brand, anchored by trust, and I will not let them be tarnished by some overzealous marketing campaign.
I would never disparage their people, but let me set the record straight about ours:
- We are the largest tax preparer in the industry.1
- We sign and stand behind every return we prepare for our clients in our offices.
- Since 1955, we have prepared and signed more than 500 million tax returns in our offices – TurboTax has prepared and signed 0.2
- We have over 7,000 Enrolled Agents (the highest credential awarded by the IRS) – more than any other tax preparation company.
- At our tax offices, the average client is served by a tax professional with over a decade of experience and hundreds of hours of training. 3
- We guarantee the accuracy of returns prepared by H&R Block tax professionals.
- And, if you’re one of the millions of H&R Block At Home® software or online clients, our tax professionals will back you up, if needed, with audit support and in-person audit representation, which only H&R Block At Home® offers at no additional charge.
- Our first-in-industry independent research and analysis advisory group, The Tax Institute, is staffed primarily by CPAs, tax attorneys, enrolled agents and former IRS agents.
At H&R Block, we believe in our people. And you can meet some of these exceptional people at #IAMHRBLOCK on Twitter.
On behalf of our tax professionals and all the people of H&R Block, thank you for your respect, your consideration and your business. If we haven’t seen you already this year, we look forward to seeing you soon. Call 1-800-HRBLOCK to make an appointment, or go to www.hrblock.com to get started.
P.S. And to all the plumbers, retail sales clerks and other hardworking Americans, please know we would be honored to serve you.
- Based on annual revenues for sales of tax preparation products and services.
- TurboTax does not provide signing return preparer services.
- Based on data from H&R Block’s company-owned tax offices.
TurboTax is a registered trademark of Intuit, Inc.
©2013 HRB Tax Group, Inc.
Learn more about the 10 new H&R Block executives who were either hired or promoted this year. H&R Block focuses on elevating talented leaders to build an exciting future for the company.
Learn about H&R Block's fiscal 2020 second quarter results.
Learn how H&R Block has elevated its talent and culture with five new H&R Block vice presidents in its U.S. retail and information technology organizations.
H&R Block remains committed to helping people gain access to their refunds while helping to promote the safety and wellbeing of associates and clients.