If the IRS Rejected My E-File Because of an SSN Error, What Should I Do?
If the IRS rejected your SSN or name on your e-file, don’t worry — we’ll help you fix this.
First, make sure you entered the correct name and SSN:
- Open your return in the H&R Block Tax Software.
- Click on the Federal tab, then the Personal Information tab.
- Click Go To, next to Personal Information.
- Click Next until you reach the Your Personal Information screen.
- Verify the spelling of each name, SSN, and / or ITIN entered on this page.
- If you corrected your information, you’ll need to e-file your return again.
If the information on this screen is already correct, the IRS may have an SSN error or name error for you in its systems.
Correcting Your Records for an IRS Name Error or IRS SSN Error
If the IRS rejected your e-file due to an SSN or name error in their systems, you’ll need to contact both the IRS and the SSA to correct their records.
- SSA: 800-772-1213
- IRS: 800-829-1040
It can take several weeks for the SSA and the IRS to correct their records, so you’ll have to file your return by mail this year. We’ll help you do this by including mailing instructions with your printed return.
Need to uninstall your H&R Block Software? Read our step-by-step instructions to remove H&R Block Software from your computer.
If H&R Block Tax Software will not update on Windows, learn how to fix the issue with detailed information from the tax experts.
Has the IRS rejected your return because your prior year AGI was wrong? Learn how to easily fix the problem and file your return again with H&R Block software.
Learn how to check your tax refund status in H&R Block software with detailed information from product experts.