What Should I Do If My Tax Return Was Rejected Because My SSN Was Already Used?
When you receive a message saying that your tax return was rejected because an SSN has already been used, a few things might have gone wrong.
If you’ve already filed a return for this year and the IRS accepted it, the IRS will reject any other returns you try to e-file with us.
However, if you haven’t already e-filed a return, make sure you entered your name and SSN or ITIN correctly on your return. The tax return will be rejected if someone else already used the SSN for you or a dependent.
How to Check Your Info When Your Tax Return Is Rejected Due to an SSN
To make sure that your information is correct:
- Open your return in the H&R Block Tax Software.
- Click on the Federal tab, then click the Personal Information tab.
- Click Go To, next to Personal Information.
- Click Next until you reach the Your Personal Information screen.
- Verify the spelling of each name, SSN, and/or ITIN entered on this page.
- If you corrected your information, you’ll need to e-file your return again.
However, if your information is already correct and you haven’t already e-filed a return this season, contact the IRS at 800-829-1040. The IRS will be able to help you figure out why your tax return was rejected due to an SSN that was already used.
Find out how to stop an antivirus from blocking a program when installing H&R Block software with help from our tax experts.
Find out how to get a different H&R Block software version with help from the tax experts at H&R Block.
Get help from H&R Block if your H&R Block Tax Software won’t install or you get an H&R Block error message.
Does H&R Block software include e-filing? Find out how to use your free federal e-files with detailed information from product experts.