What Should I Do If My Tax Return Was Rejected Because My SSN Was Already Used?
When you receive a message saying that your tax return was rejected because an SSN has already been used, a few things might have gone wrong.
If you’ve already filed a return for this year and the IRS accepted it, the IRS will reject any other returns you try to e-file with us.
However, if you haven’t already e-filed a return, make sure you entered your name and SSN or ITIN correctly on your return. The tax return will be rejected if someone else already used the SSN for you or a dependent.
How to Check Your Info When Your Tax Return Is Rejected Due to an SSN
To make sure that your information is correct:
- Open your return in the H&R Block Tax Software.
- Click on the Federal tab, then click the Personal Information tab.
- Click Go To, next to Personal Information.
- Click Next until you reach the Your Personal Information screen.
- Verify the spelling of each name, SSN, and/or ITIN entered on this page.
- If you corrected your information, you’ll need to e-file your return again.
However, if your information is already correct and you haven’t already e-filed a return this season, contact the IRS at 800-829-1040. The IRS will be able to help you figure out why your tax return was rejected due to an SSN that was already used.