What’s the H&R Block Activation Code?
An H&R Block Activation Code is a unique eight-character code that’s sent with the copy of H&R Block Tax Software you bought. It’s made up of uppercase letters and numbers, formatted like XXXX-XXXX. The H&R Block Activation Code is used to register your software and unlock your five free federal e-files.
If you can’t find your H&R Block Tax Software Activation Code, here’s how to locate it based on how you bought the software:
- Physical CD purchase (Ex: from stores like Walmart or Best Buy) — Check for an insert in the packaging the software came in.
- Bought from a CD you received in the mail — Your H&R Block Activation Code will be in the confirmation email sent when you completed your purchase from the CD.
- Downloaded from H&R Block — Check your inbox for your purchase confirmation. The Activation Code will be in the email you received when you bought your software.
- Downloaded from an online retailer (Ex: for an Amazon H&R Block Activation Code) — Check your inbox. The code is usually sent in the purchase confirmation email. You can also check in your account on the website where you purchased the software. There should be a history of your digital software purchases and the Activation Code for the H&R Block Tax Software.
Using Your H&R Block Software Activation Code
Once you have your H&R Block Activation Code, you’ll need to enter it into the software to activate and use your free federal e-files.
To activate your software:
- Open the H&R Block Tax Software.
- If the software is already open, save your return (if applicable), close the software, and then open it again.
- Click Next until you reach the Activate and Register Your Software screen.
- Enter your personal information and the eight-character H&R Block Activation Code you received when you bought your software.
- Click Activate Now.
If you’ve installed the H&R Block Tax Software on a second computer, you’ll need to activate again.
If you don’t see the Activate and Register Your Software screen when you open the program, you can enter the H&R Block Software Activation Code from the File tab:
- Click on the File tab.
- Click Next until you reach the Your Federal E-file Fee screen.
- Choose E-file for free using my Activation Code.
- Enter your H&R Block Activation Code and continue.
Did you know that H&R Block lets you pay tax prep fees out of your federal refund? Learn more with detailed information from the tax experts.
Find out which tax forms are final and ready to be filed with help from the tax experts at H&R Block.
Find out if you can install H&R Block software by transferring your H&R Block program to a new computer.
Need help installing your H&R Block tax CD? Learn how to install or reinstall the H&R Block Tax Software CD you received in the mail.