What’s the H&R Block Activation Code?
An H&R Block Activation Code is a unique ten-character code that’s sent with the copy of H&R Block Tax Software you bought. It’s made up of uppercase letters and numbers, formatted like XXXXX-XXXXX. The H&R Block Activation Code is used to register your software and unlock your five free federal e-files.
If you can’t find your H&R Block Tax Software Activation Code, here’s how to locate it based on how you bought the software:
- Downloaded from H&R Block — Check your in-box for your purchase confirmation. The Activation Code will be in the email you received when you bought your software.
- Downloaded from an online retailer (Ex: for an Amazon H&R Block Activation Code) — Check your in-box. The code is usually sent in the purchase confirmation email. You can also check in your account on the website where you purchased the software. There should be a history of your digital software purchases and the Activation Code for the H&R Block Tax Software.
Using Your H&R Block Software Activation Code
Once you have your H&R Block Activation Code, you’ll need to enter it into the software to activate and use your free federal e-files.
To activate your software:
- Open the H&R Block Tax Software.
- If the software is already open, save your return (if applicable), close the software, and then open it again.
- Click Next until you reach the Activate and Register Your Software screen.
- Enter your personal information and the eight-character H&R Block Activation Code you received when you bought your software.
- Click Activate Now.
If you’ve installed the H&R Block Tax Software on a second computer, you’ll need to activate again.
If you don’t see the Activate and Register Your Software screen when you open the program, you can enter the H&R Block Software Activation Code from the File tab:
- Click on the File tab.
- Click Next until you reach the Your Federal E-file Fee screen.
- Choose E-file for free using my Activation Code.
- Enter your H&R Block Activation Code and continue.
We are no longer offering H&R Block tax software CDs, but there are other ways to download our software. Learn more about your tax filing options.
Having trouble importing last year’s return into your H&R Block software? We’ll tell you what kinds of files you can import and walk you through the process.
With H&R Block software, filling out your taxes is as easy as taking a pic. Learn more about uploading your W-2 using photo capture.