If you are required to use your personal vehicle for work, can you claim gas on taxes or do you just use the standard mileage deduction?
Yes, you can claim gas on taxes as a deductible business expense. However, you must keep adequate records that show the following:
- Cost of expense
- Date you used car
- Business destination
- Business purpose for expense
Receipts are usually the most accurate way to prove a valid expense. If you don’t have complete records to prove an expense, you must prove it with:
- Your own written or oral statement containing specific information
- Other supporting evidence, like written statements or oral testimony from a third party
However, you might be able to take the standard mileage deduction for business-related miles. If you do, keep the following records for each trip:
- Business purpose
- Starting and ending odometer readings
- Total mileage for each business trip
If you choose to use the standard mileage deduction, you can also deduct business-related parking fees and tolls.