I have a question about the electric vehicle tax credit. Does my vehicle qualify for the plug-in electric car tax credit?
The electric car tax credit is available when you buy a qualifying vehicle.
To qualify for the electric vehicle tax credit, a vehicle must:
- Be a new vehicle with at least four wheels, as compared to the two-wheeled electric vehicle tax credit
- Have a gross vehicle weight of less than 14,000 pounds
- Be propelled mostly by an electric motor that draws electricity from a battery that:
- Has a capacity of not less than four kilowatt hours
- Be capable of being recharged from an external source of electricity
- Be certified as qualifying for the electric car tax credit
You also must meet these conditions to qualify for the electric vehicle tax credit:
- You own the vehicle.
- You placed it in service in the current tax year.
- The original use of the vehicle began with you.
The two-wheeled or 3-wheeled Plug-In Electric Drive Vehicle tax credit is available if the vehicle:
- Is a new vehicle with two or three wheels.
- Is capable of achieving a speed of 45 mph or greater.
- Is propelled to a significant extent by an electric motor
- The motor draws electricity from a battery having a capacity of at least 2.5 Kilowatt hours.
- Is capable of being charged from an external source of electricity
- Has a gross vehicle weight of less than 14,000 pounds.
- The two-wheeled electric vehicle must also meet the additional conditions mentioned directly above.
What is a CPA, and how can one help you with preparing your taxes? Understand the role of a certified public accountant with the experts at H&R Block.
Are political contributions tax deductible? Before signing a check, learn the difference between charitable giving and political donations at H&R Block.
Head of household is a filing status for single or unmarried taxpayers who have maintained a home for a qualifying person, such as a child or relative. This filing status provides a larger standard deduction and more generous tax rates for calculating federal income tax than the Single filing status.
Learn more about the potential tax benefits of charitable holiday giving. Your holiday donations may boost your refund, depending on the organization.