Am I Eligible to Claim the Qualified Electric Vehicle Tax Credit for My Car?


You can claim the qualified electric vehicle credit if your car meets various criteria. It’s worth the time to determine if you qualify, as the electric vehicle credit can be up to $7,500 of the expenses you had to buy a qualifying vehicle. The value of this credit might be lower if the auto manufacturer has already sold a certain number of vehicles. While this credit is not refundable, you can generally claim the unused portion of the credit on your tax return next year.

To qualify for the electric vehicle tax credit for any vehicle, these conditions must be true:

  • You own the vehicle.
  • You placed it in service in the current tax year.
  • The original use of the vehicle began with you.

For a four-wheeled vehicle, your vehicle also must: 

  • Have a gross vehicle weight of less than 14,000 pounds
  • Be propelled mostly by an electric motor that draws electricity from a battery that:
    • Has a capacity of at least four kilowatt hours
    • Can be recharged from an external source of electricity
  • Be certified as qualifying for the electric car tax credit

For a two-wheeled or three-wheeled electric vehicle, the tax credit is available if it:

  • Is a new vehicle with two or three wheels
  • Can reach a speed of 45 mph or more
  • Is propelled to a significant extent by an electric motor
  • The motor draws electricity from a battery with a capacity of at least 2.5 kilowatt hours
  • Can be charged from an external source of electricity
  • Has a vehicle weight of less than 14,000 pounds

How Do I Claim the Electric Vehicle Credit If I’m Using H&R Block Software?

If you’re using H&R Block Software to complete your return, we’ll calculate your qualified electric vehicle credit for you — helping ensure you get your maximum refund.

To claim your qualified electric vehicle credit:

  1. Go to the Federal section of your return.
  2. Choose Credits.
  3. Choose Electric Vehicle Credit on the list of available credits.
  4. Answer the questions shown on screen so we can calculate your credit.

For more product help, visit our Software Support center.

Related Topics

Related Resources

Where’s my refund – Connecticut?

Looking for more information about your Connecticut refund? Find out details on how to check your refund status, who to contact, and more from H&R Block.

File Back Taxes For Last Year

How should you file back taxes for last year, as well as taxes for this year? Learn more from the tax experts at H&R Block.

Claiming Tax Benefits For A Nondependent Child

Do you know how to claim child care expenses for a nondependent child? Learn more from the tax experts at H&R Block.

What Are H&R Block’s Prices?

Trying to determine the cost of tax preparation or H&R Block’s prices? While there’s no one-size-fits-all answer, learn why Block believes in upfront, transparent pricing.