IRS Notice CP87B – Verify You are Not Someone’s Dependent
Type of notice: Return accuracy
Most common tax problem area: Return and account problems
Other tax problem areas: Tax identity theft
Why you received IRS Notice CP87B
- You filed a tax return claiming yourself as an exemption.
- Someone else filed a tax return claiming you as a dependent.
- You need to clarify whether someone else is entitled to claim you on their tax return.
Your options to address IRS Notice CP87B
- Provide the documentation requested.
- Clear up an account error.
Notice deadline: N/A
If you miss the deadline: N/A
Want more help?
See your local tax pro for a free consultation.
Learn more about notice CP10 and how to handle an IRS CP10 notice with help from the tax experts at H&R Block.
Understand your tax responsibilities if you receive nonemployee compensation. Read the IRS definition and get more insight from the experts at H&R Block.
Letter 2644C notifies you that the IRS needs more time to review your information. Get the facts about this notice from the experts at H&R Block.
Get the facts from H&R Block about what happens when you owe taxes, and the options you may have when you owe taxes and can't pay.