IRS Notice CP87B – Verify You are Not Someone’s Dependent
Another taxpayer has filed a tax return listing your Social Security Number (SSN) as one of their dependents.
Type of notice: Return accuracy
Most common tax problem area: Return and account problems
Other tax problem areas: Tax identity theft
Why you received IRS Notice CP87B
- You filed a tax return claiming yourself as an exemption.
- Someone else filed a tax return claiming you as a dependent.
- You need to clarify whether someone else is entitled to claim you on their tax return.
Your options to address IRS Notice CP87B
- Provide the documentation requested.
- Clear up an account error.
Notice deadline: N/A
If you miss the deadline: N/A
Want more help?
See your local tax pro for a free consultation.
There was not sufficient funds in your checking account to cover your monthly payment. Learn more about IRS notice CP166 from the tax experts at H&R Block.
You may qualify for an additional tax credit. Learn more about notice CP27 and how to handle this notice with help from the tax experts at H&R Block.
IRS Form 9465, Installment Agreement Request, is used to request a monthly payment plan with the IRS. Learn more from the tax experts at H&R Block.
Learn more about notice CP12A, why you received it, and how to handle an IRS CP12A notice with help from the tax experts at H&R Block.