Explore All Topics

Mistake on Tax Return

1 min read

1 min read

IRS Definition

File an amended tax return to correct errors or make changes to your original tax return. For example, you should amend to change your filing status, or to correct your income, deductions or credits. You normally don’t need to file an amended return to correct math errors on your original return. The IRS will automatically correct those for you. Also, do not file an amended return if you forgot to attach tax forms, such as a Form W-2 or a schedule. The IRS will mail you a request for them in most cases.

More from H&R Block

If you discover that you made an error on your tax return, you may need to file IRS Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. However, many errors will automatically be corrected by the IRS. If it is a math mistake, a wrong number is pulled from a chart, or a supporting form is missing, the IRS will send you a notice. If you receive one of these notices, you can simply reply to the notice and no amended return is required.

Learn more about filing an amended return.

Was this topic helpful?