Like-Kind Exchanges – Form 8824


In a like-kind exchange, you might exchange real property for similar property used solely for business or investment. If so, you might completely or partially defer gain on the exchange. If your gain is tax-deferred, you won’t recognize gain and pay tax until you dispose of the new property.

What is Considered a Like-Kind Exchange?

Properties in a like-kind exchange can differ in grade or quality. However, to be considered a like-kind exchange, the property must be:

like kind exchange

  • In the same general asset class
  • Similar in nature
  • Similar in character
  • Not held for resale or flipped

Example of a Like-Kind Exchange:

You might give up a rental home in need of repairs in exchange for another rental home that’s well maintained. If so, it’s a like-kind exchange.

To learn more, see Publication 544: Sales and Other Dispositions of Assets at

What Rules Apply to Like-Kind Exchanges?

You don’t have to receive property on the day you give up your property for it to be a like-kind exchange. However, strict rules apply to tax-deferred exchanges. You might want a deferred exchange to qualify as a like-kind exchange. If so, you must comply with the 45-day written notice. The notice identifies the property you and the other person will exchange.

You must receive the replacement property by the earlier of these:

  • 180 days after you gave up your property (not six months, but exactly 180 days)
  • The due date of your federal return for the year you transferred your property. This includes any extensions.

Fill Our IRS Form 8824

You should prepare IRS Form 8824: Like-Kind Exchanges for all like-kind exchanges.

Special rules apply for:

  • Multi-assets
  • Exchanges made with someone you’re related to
  • Property you once used as your personal residence
  • Property you received that will become your personal residence—Like-kind exchanges must be for business and investment real property. I could find nothing in the instructions related to property received that will be treated as a home.

More Help Completing Tax Forms

To learn more about reporting the exchange, see Form 8824 instructions at To get hands-on guidance with filling out Form 8824, get the help of tax pros at H&R Block.

Whether you make an appointment with one of our knowledgeable tax pros or choose one of our online tax filing products, you can count on H&R Block to help you out.

Related Topics

Related Resources

1099-C cancellation of debt

Learn more about Form 1099-C and the cancellation of debt, with advice from the tax experts at H&R Block.

IRS Letter 5043 – Notification of Possible Income Underreporting

Learn more about IRS Letter 5043 and how to handle an inquiry of your business' income with help from the tax experts at H&R Block.

IRS Letter 672C – Payments Located and/or Applied

Receive an IRS 672C letter? Learn more about Letter 672C and how to handle it with help from the tax experts at H&R Block.

IRS Notice CP504B – Notice of Intent to Seize Your Property or Rights to Property

Learn more about notice CP504B and how to handle an IRS bill for unpaid business tax with help from the tax experts at H&R Block.