What is a W-7 Form?
The answer to the questions “What is a Form W-7?” and “Where to send a W-7 Form?” is this…
Most people have heard about ITIN, or an individual taxpayer identification number, used, yet need to file a U.S. tax return. What you may not have heard of is the form you file to claim this number.
ITIN and Form W-7 work hand in hand. In fact, a Form W-7 is the document to apply for an ITIN. The Form W-7 asks for:
- Your name, mailing address and, if different, foreign address
- Your birth date and location of birth
- Your country of citizenship
- Your foreign tax ID number, if applicable
- Your U.S. visa number, if applicable
- Other details verifying your identity
In addition, you will need two of the following unexpired documents, or certified copies, to support the information you provide on Form W-7:
- A passport
- U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) photo ID
- U.S. Department of State issued Visa
- U.S. driver’s license
- U.S. military ID card
- Foreign driver’s license
- Foreign military ID card
- National ID card with name, address, photo, date of birth, and expiration date
- U.S. state ID card
- Foreign voter’s registration card
- Civil birth certificate
- Medical records (for a dependent under age 6)
- School records (for a dependent student under age 18)
At least one of the two documents must have a photo unless you are a dependent under a certain age. Some documents can establish your foreign status, identity, or both. If you have an original valid passport and are not a dependent, you may not need a second document.
More Details On Form W-7
An ITIN is only used for federal tax filing – it does not change your residency, right to work, or immigration status. Generally, you shouldn’t apply for an ITIN via Form W-7 until you need it for a tax return.
Where to Send Form W-7
You can file Form W-7 with your federal income tax return.
A tax return accompanied by one or more W-7 forms cannot be submitted electronically or via mail.
Where To Go For Form W-7 Help
H&R Block also offers ITIN assistance – so leave it to a tax pro to help you complete Form W-7. Whether you make an appointment with one of our knowledgeable tax pros or choose one of our online tax filing products, you can count on H&R Block to help you feel confident. Get help filing the W-7 tax form today.
Learn more about letter 4550C and how to handle an IRS request for additional information with help from the tax experts at H&R Block.
What are the tax brackets for U.S. taxes? Review income tax brackets based on your filing status as well as taxable income and understand how they apply to you.
Issues with your bank account could cause tax refund delays. Learn more about direct deposit tax refunds from the tax experts at H&R Block.