IRS Phone Numbers and Website
At www.irs.gov you can find:
- Forms, worksheets, and publications needed to complete your return
- Advice and FAQs
- Information on new and changing tax laws
- Links and information for your state taxes
- Online tools and calculators
- Your refund status
To contact the IRS, call:
- Customer service — 800-829-1040
- Lost IRS check — 800-829-1954
- Refund status — 800-829-4477
- Forms and publications — 800-829-3676
- Questions about refunds and offsets to IRS liabilities — 800-829-1954
- Taxpayer advocate service — 877-777-4778
To pay tax by credit card — Call any of these numbers:
- 888-PAY-1040 (888-729-1040)
- 855-9-PAY-TAX (855-972-9829)
To learn more, see these tax tips:
- Amended Return — Form 1040X
Learn more about IRS Letter 692C and how to handle proposed adjustments to your tax return with help from the tax experts at H&R Block.
You are considered insolvent if you owe more than the value of your assets. This can be important if you received IRS Form 1099-C, Cancellation of Debt.
The IRS is requesting additional information from you. Learn more about letter 2626C and how to handle it with help from the tax experts at H&R Block.
IRS Form 9465, Installment Agreement Request, is used to request a monthly payment plan with the IRS. Learn more from the tax experts at H&R Block.