IRS Phone Numbers and Website
At www.irs.gov you can find:
- Forms, worksheets, and publications needed to complete your return
- Advice and FAQs
- Information on new and changing tax laws
- Links and information for your state taxes
- Online tools and calculators
- Your refund status
To contact the IRS, call:
- Customer service — 800-829-1040
- Lost IRS check — 800-829-1954
- Refund status — 800-829-4477
- Forms and publications — 800-829-3676
- Questions about refunds and offsets to IRS liabilities — 800-829-1954
- Taxpayer advocate service — 877-777-4778
To pay tax by credit card — Call any of these numbers:
- 888-PAY-1040 (888-729-1040)
- 855-9-PAY-TAX (855-972-9829)
To learn more, see these tax tips:
- Amended Return — Form 1040X
The IRS made a change to the Making Work Pay and/or Government Retiree Credit on your tax return. Learn more about IRS notice CP12M from H&R Block.
Most Forms 1099-G are received for unemployment compensation or from state or local income tax refunds. Learn more from the tax experts at H&R Block.
If you sold stock, bonds or other securities through a broker or had a barter exchange transaction, you will likely receive a Form 1099-B. Learn more from H&R Block.
Do you need to call the IRS? Get the IRS phone number and learn what you need to know before calling from the tax experts at H&R Block.