IRS Phone Numbers and Website
At www.irs.gov you can find:
- Forms, worksheets, and publications needed to complete your return
- Advice and FAQs
- Information on new and changing tax laws
- Links and information for your state taxes
- Online tools and calculators
- Your refund status
To contact the IRS, call:
- Customer service — 800-829-1040
- Lost IRS check — 800-829-1954
- Refund status — 800-829-4477
- Forms and publications — 800-829-3676
- Questions about refunds and offsets to IRS liabilities — 800-829-1954
- Taxpayer advocate service — 877-777-4778
To pay tax by credit card — Call any of these numbers:
- 888-PAY-1040 (888-729-1040)
- 855-9-PAY-TAX (855-972-9829)
To learn more, see these tax tips:
- Amended Return — Form 1040X
Wondering if you can file your state taxes before your federal taxes? Learn from the tax pros at H&R Block when this option is possible.
The time it takes to get an IRS agreement depends on your situation, the agreement type, and how you interact with the IRS. Learn more from H&R Block.
Learn more about 1099-K inquiries. Read the IRS definition and get more insight from the tax experts at H&R Block.
Trying to determine the deadline to file state taxes and if you can e-file your state return after your federal taxes? H&R Block will help you figure it out.