IRS Phone Numbers and Website
At www.irs.gov you can find:
- Forms, worksheets, and publications needed to complete your return
- Advice and FAQs
- Information on new and changing tax laws
- Links and information for your state taxes
- Online tools and calculators
- Your refund status
To contact the IRS, call:
- Customer service — 800-829-1040
- Lost IRS check — 800-829-1954
- Refund status — 800-829-4477
- Forms and publications — 800-829-3676
- Questions about refunds and offsets to IRS liabilities — 800-829-1954
- Taxpayer advocate service — 877-777-4778
To pay tax by credit card — Call any of these numbers:
- 888-PAY-1040 (888-729-1040)
- 855-9-PAY-TAX (855-972-9829)
To learn more, see these tax tips:
- Amended Return — Form 1040X
Read the IRS definition and get more insight about tax return transcripts from the tax experts at H&R Block.
What is a Schedule C Tax Form and when do you need to file it? Learn more from the tax experts at H&R Block.
Learn more about Letter 4838, why you received it, and how to handle an IRS 4838 letter with help from the tax experts at H&R Block.
Compare the four tax refund methods – check, direct deposit, Emerald Card and savings bonds, with the experts at H&R Block.