IRS Phone Numbers and Website
At www.irs.gov you can find:
- Forms, worksheets, and publications needed to complete your return
- Advice and FAQs
- Information on new and changing tax laws
- Links and information for your state taxes
- Online tools and calculators
- Your refund status
To contact the IRS, call:
- Customer service — 800-829-1040
- Lost IRS check — 800-829-1954
- Refund status — 800-829-4477
- Forms and publications — 800-829-3676
- Questions about refunds and offsets to IRS liabilities — 800-829-1954
- Taxpayer advocate service — 877-777-4778
To pay tax by credit card — Call any of these numbers:
- 888-PAY-1040 (888-729-1040)
- 855-9-PAY-TAX (855-972-9829)
To learn more, see these tax tips:
- Amended Return — Form 1040X
Receive an IRS 2475C letter? Learn more about letter 2475C, why you received it, and how to handle it with help from the tax experts at H&R Block.
Learn more about the IRS Whistleblower Program, a newer initiative from the IRS that rewards people who provide valid information about tax scams.
Learn more about notice CP161 and how to handle an IRS bill for unpaid taxes with help from the tax experts at H&R Block.
Learn more about letter 4883C, why you received it, and how to handle an IRS 4883C letter with help from the tax experts at H&R Block.