IRS Phone Numbers and Website
At www.irs.gov you can find:
- Forms, worksheets, and publications needed to complete your return
- Advice and FAQs
- Information on new and changing tax laws
- Links and information for your state taxes
- Online tools and calculators
- Your refund status
To contact the IRS, call:
- Customer service — 800-829-1040
- Lost IRS check — 800-829-1954
- Refund status — 800-829-4477
- Forms and publications — 800-829-3676
- Questions about refunds and offsets to IRS liabilities — 800-829-1954
- Taxpayer advocate service — 877-777-4778
To pay tax by credit card — Call any of these numbers:
- 888-PAY-1040 (888-729-1040)
- 855-9-PAY-TAX (855-972-9829)
To learn more, see these tax tips:
- Amended Return — Form 1040X
If you need to file quarterly excise taxes, learn more about IRS Form 720 with the help of H&R Block. Get educated on who needs to file and form due dates.
Learn more about form CP501, why you received it, and how to handle the notice with help from the tax experts at H&R Block.
If you have paid penalties the IRS has charged you, you can use IRS Form 843 to request abatement and a refund. Learn more from the experts at H&R Block.
Learn more from the experts at H&R Block about the tax form 1040-v payment voucher for when you have a balance due to the IRS.